3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Guys doing the TQ Converter Swaps, got some info for ya

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:53 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys doing the TQ Converter Swaps, got some info for ya

So with all the guys doing this mod now or wanting to do this mod I thought I'd better post up some extra info that most seem to be missing on this. With the higher stall converters there is a chance that your trans will start running hotter than it usually does. You really need to monitor your trans when you install one to make sure the temp is about right. I know there was a chart posted up in the faqs section that show what a good operating temp is that you can go off of. If you find that you are running hotter than normal swaping out the trans cooler will help and is a simple install.

There are really two that you can pickup that are direct stock replacements (no moifications to anything) that come out of the 2500's. One is for the 05' and newer ones, it is an aluminum cooler that is great if you live up where it gets really cold. It is skightly larger than the one that comes on the truck stock but it is suppose to cool things down much better than the standard 16 row cooler. The other is a special order item (the guys at the parts counter at 3 different dealer never even heard of it), it is out of the 03-04 2500's and is a 26 row cooler. This cooler is better than the aluminum one but since it cools down so much and our trans needs "x" amount of heat to run right it is not good for the colder climates (thus why they switched the style/type for the newer models).

The one I have one mine is from the 03-04' 2500's (the 26 row cooler). It was $150 from the dealer, part # 52029089AB (since they do not have it on file). Before adding this and the converter on a hot day here in AZ it was sitting around the 180* mark, after installing the cooler and converter I have not seen it go past the 160* mark.

I also want to make it clear that this mod is not required to do a performance TC but personally I would not want to risk adding any extra heat to my trans than what is absolutely nessesary to run right), at the very least a trans temp gauge should be a must when doing this mod though.

Anyways this just some food for thought for those that are doing this or looking to do this soon. HAve fun modding

Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info man thanks for postin that

Originally Posted by truckin151
I also want to make it clear that this mod is not required to do a performance TC but personally I would not want to risk adding any extra heat to my trans than what is absolutely nessesary to run right), at the very least a trans temp gauge should be a must when doing this mod though.
i would say the trans temp guage is def a MUST anytime you're doing anything outside of daily driving a mostly stock truck. as soon as you get into towing, hauling, or hard driving, i think this gauge should be mandatory, especially with how fragile these trannys are.

having the gauge will tell if you if you're running too hot and need the better cooler. its nonsense to get the upgraded cooler if not necessary. do this first. the guage and pod and everything is like $100 total and a 20 minute install

Old 02-06-2010, 12:03 AM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

20 min install bc of my diy lol

Old 02-06-2010, 12:04 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

heck yeah man good stuff

Old 02-06-2010, 12:38 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not nonsense to do it at the sametime, just an added precaution. I know a few guys that have done this mod with the stock setup and everyone of them ended up going this route due to excess heat.

Quick Reply: Guys doing the TQ Converter Swaps, got some info for ya