3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sirius install - constant 12V vs switched 12V

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 AM
AlbertaRAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like I lucked out then in my '06 when doing the deck install by getting accessory power from the cig lighter!
Now for tying into constant... I should be able to do it off the other accessory outlet which is constant instead of going behind the deck into the harness right? (just a little easier since the wires from the Sirius are right there already and I won't have to pull the deck out again and try to fit all those cables in there again)
Thanks again for your post! Nice to know how that module works now!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Ben D.
Champion

if that's where you wanna put it go ahead it won't make any difference if it's on the same constant as the deck or another one. be totally A OK,

Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 AM
AlbertaRAM
Professional
Thumbs up

Awesome!!
Will take care of that tomorrow
Thanks!

Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry AlbertaRAM i was under the impression that the sirius module needed both constant and ignition. I have never installed one, but i thought it needed both power sources.

If I were you while you have your dash apart, it might be an idea just to run a seperate #14-or even #12 from the battery to a distribution block. Or better yet a fuse block. That way if you decide you want to add anything else in, like a GPS or a 110V power inverter. You can get your 12V Constant right from that fuse block. It will be fused power, and will not cause any wire damage or anything to the wires your are splicing into, not to mention you might go through fuses, depending on where you hook it in. Im not sure how many amps that Sirius module uses, but its always better to be safe then sorry.

Maybe its just the electrician in me talking, but thats what i would do, in fact thats what i am doing once my radar detector comes in. You can put all your electronics unto each of their own fuses, and not have to worry about loosing a cig lighter fuse and other things you might tie into because that certain electronic took too much power.
You also have part of your dash ripped apart now, so i might be a little less work!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:51 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The deck has two power sources - switched and constant. I believe you'll find the constant is pink or orange (it's been a while). The constant should be a larger-gauge red wire. I suspect the Sirius also has two "hots", but I don't know for sure. Seems logical it would.

Quick Reply: Sirius install - constant 12V vs switched 12V