3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sirius install - constant 12V vs switched 12V

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:16 PM
AlbertaRAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius install - constant 12V vs switched 12V

Hello everybody!

So I have had an aftermarket Sony deck in my truck for quite a while now (06 Ram 1500) and way back when I first installed it, I had to connect one of the wires into a switched 12V + from the deck in order for it to work. Been working fine and still does.

Today, I decided to wire in my Sirius Connect module so that way I don't have all that crap all over the place anymore. Everything went well and works, except for the presets for the Sirius.

When I turn it on and set all my presets for the radio and for the Sirius, the next time I turn the key on it only has them stored for the regular radio and it loses the Sirius ones and defaults me back to Ch 184. For the Sirius module, I am tied into the switched 12V + and - from the cigg lighter (pink/yel for + and black/yel for -). I have Googled and searched on here and could not find anything except one person suggesting wire it into a constant 12V instead.

Anyone else ever run into this issue or have an idea? Should I wire it into the accessory outlet on the other side of the pocket which seems to be a constant 12V? If it's just for the Sirius Connect module, will it actually use any power when the truck is off if the deck is off? Doesn't seem to make sense to me why the radio keeps presets but not the Sirius presets on the deck itself.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cigarette lighter turns off when the trucks acc is off. You have to tie into the 12V power lighter if anything...

also did you make sure that you have the 12V constant on the 12V constant and not swapped around? Your deck will still work if they are mixed up.

The 12V constant just keeps the decks memory working. It does use power, but just like the PCM and the radio. Thats also the reason why if you leave your car for a long time the battery will be dead. We are talking VERY LITTLE power consumption, all it does is act like a backup battery for the device. The 12V Ignition is what actually does most of the deck powering....

Check make sure you have your wires right, and you are in the POWER socket and not the cigarette lighter

Old 02-07-2010, 06:39 PM
AlbertaRAM
Professional

Right now they are all on the cigarette lighter wiring, nothing is tied into the other outlet for accessories on the other side (note I know that accy outlet side is constant since I tested it when the key was off)

So since the stereo radio presets (AM and FM) work fine where it is... should I just move the Sirius wiring over to the Accy outlet wiring? Not a huge deal to move it over I guess, d/c the battery and pull the dash off again.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 PM
AlbertaRAM
Professional

Hmmm would I have to move the entire deck and Sirius module over to constant then, or just the Sirius module?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Nate769
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could still have been testing power on it because the truck has an auto off feature...so did you open your door when you were testing? Cause ACC is still on when the door is not opened and the key is taken out...remember?

Cause i know with my cigarette lighter (the one on the left side) is NOT constant...however the 12V Power outlet (on the far right) is...make sure one more time with the key out and door open.

As far as your next question goes...your aftermarket deck what did you hook it up to for the 12V Ignition (Non constant). You should be connecting both the module and the deck to the same 12V ignition, simplifies things and you make sure you have the right power and that both are not constant. As far as the 12V constant goes me being an electrician would take that right to the battery, i know then its 12V constant.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:24 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Alberta represent. That will be all.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 AM
AlbertaRAM
Professional

Yayyy Alberta!

Ok to answer your post Nate... when I originally hooked up my Sony deck a few years ago, it wasn't turning on for some reason. I called my buddy at a stereo install place and he said right away it needed one of the wires tired into a key-on 12V. I did it and it worked perfectly, still does.

Also like in your truck, the one on the left is key-on power and the one on the right is constant. I got that much figured out anyways. Now I am just wondering why the Sirius module would need constant power to keep it's presets in the Sony deck.

So it has to be one of the following solutions...

1. Put the Sony deck itself to constant 12V instead of the key-on 12V described above

or...

2. Just connect the Sirius Connect module to constant 12V since it has some impact on the presets in the deck

Old 02-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Ben D.
Champion

sony deck has two wires behind it, one yellow needs to be hooked into constant power, one red must be hooked into switched 12v. that will allow you to retain all presets except for the sirius ones,

Sirius box should be hooked into a constant 12v source. the wire you hooked into power was yellow on the sirius box. in aftermarket equipment yellow is standard for constant 12v and is why the wire is generally fused. merely tie the sirius unit into the same constant power as the deck ie just hook the power wire from the sirius box into the same yellow power wire of the deck and tada your done.

the sirius module contains all functions for the sirius and it also stores the presets. if it is not hooked into constant 12v you will lose presets every single time you turn off the vehicle. The sony deck has nothing to do with sirius programming and stations it merely acts as a remote control unit and a means of playing the sound from the sirius everything is connected from the SCC1 sirius connect tuner into a sony part that is able to translate the sirius signal over for the sony deck to display and control. really a simple process. and no it won't draw any power while it is off.. at least not enough to be worried about a few milliamps at best to just hold memory that's about it.

Last edited by Ben D.; 02-08-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:37 AM
AlbertaRAM
Professional

Ahhh good stuff! Thanks for the post Ben!
Any idea as to why the Sirius unit itself has to be wired into constant 12V when the deck already is and has no problem remembering it's own presets?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 AM
Ben D.
Champion

because the sirius deck does not draw any power from the radio itself and the presets are not stored on the sony unit. they are all stored on the sirius deck. you gotta think of the two things as seperate entities. the sony deck merely controls the sirius and acts as a user interface for you. pretty much everything is done inside the sirius connect box.

when you installed your radio I'm assuming you used a wiring harness that adapts into the factory plug and didn't just lop off the old one. also what year truck is this, ah nvm 06

the reason you had a problem with your radio not turning on when you first installed it is because whereever you got the radio they did not sell you the proper harness, 06 and up ram's have a CANBUS system that controls the radio, it's one of two ways and i can't remember, it's either the vehicles factory harness has a constant 12v source and there is no switched ignition or the other way around, basically the radio is controlled by the computer as far as the on and off function goes, the can bus controller also allows for the RAP (retained accesssory power) which is where you turn off the vehicle and for about ten minutes or until you open the door the accessories stay on, o and i remember when i put one in the 06 we have it's that the truck has constant but no switched acc

If you use the standard chrysler interface harness what will happen is you hook it all up and damnit the radio doesn't turn on. that's because the radio isn't able to interpret CANBUS and has no idea what to do and without it having a 12v source that turns off with ignition and on with ignition your kinda dead in the water,
there is a wiring harness that allows you to hook it up and it can interpret CANBUS and allows you to just hook it up initialize the module and be done,

Some trucks you will get lucky and one of the cig lighter ports is switched accessory and you can tie right into that. if So then i wouldn't bother with the integration harness because it's ez to run the wire from deck to cig plug takes like three minutes, but in the case of my 06 it wasn't both were constant, both are also constant in my 08, the ignition system is off limits to grab accessory because the ignition system is borrowed from mercedes and is fully MUX activation with ground through resistance and other gay things, basically you can't hook into that, So that leaves you to either search farther behind the dash for some wire that is switched accessory or do a hood install and just pull a fuse and put the wire in there and call it a day (which i woudln't recommend it's ghetto and if anyone here does it to there truck shame on you, you fail at install). In that case just pony up the 50 bucks and get the harness,

Since you already have the sony deck installed it makes it really easy just take the power wire from the sirius connect module tie it into the same constant as the radio and you're done.

Quick Reply: Sirius install - constant 12V vs switched 12V