3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing the clutch & fan

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 AM
uncle_zah
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the clutch & fan

How easy is it remove the clutch and mech. fan?
Or what all needs to be remove?
What is good cfm on an electric fan?
Which is better dual or single fans?

Old 02-08-2010, 01:17 AM
05RamMan
Captain

Not very hard, Need a special span wrench to hold fan still or just be inventive.

Single probably better, However dual has it's beneifits.

The rest you probably better off searching for, Literally thousands of thread all over the net for this exchange.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Trupiano
Veteran

Hey man! Well most people will tell you its a pain in the butt but really, its not that bad. Basically just removed the reservoir for coolant/windshield wiper fluid, then theres like 4 screws for the fan shroud I think. Then, some people just use spanner wrench, or make one, but using the a the right wrench size, or cresent wrench and a friend will work just fine. I suggest putting in an electric fan. Takes alot of the stress and work off your motor. GL dude!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Trupiano
Veteran

Oh, and the electric fan from a 3.8L ford taurus works awesome. I have 2 in my garage right now, just go down to the junk yard, they're easy to pull of and only like 15 to 20 buks a piece. Then just buy some water heater straps and cut them to fit around the top/back of the radiator and mount them with bolts, and 100 bucks or so for a controller, and your golden!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

As said before, remove the shroud and bottles, get a big wrench and put in on the fan bolt and hit it with a hammer counterclockwise to break it lose.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:52 PM
uncle_zah
Amateur

Wow sounds pretty easy removing those two items. A taurus fan huh, and a spanner wrench, cool. Where would I connect to make it come on automatically? Would I tie into the temp. sensor wiring or is there another way?

Old 02-08-2010, 01:38 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

You can get electric fan controllers at most auto part stores. I got mine from Advance Auto and it was about $40. I wired mine to come on as it should but will also continue to run after the engine is off to continue cooling and keep air flowing to keep heat from building under the hood.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im looking into this one soon weed how do you have your bottles rehung ? did you do awai with the factory shroud? i think teach put his shroud back in and hung the bottles in the respective spot....i'd also like to hear how you wired it for a used fan for 20 and a controller for 40 thats a helluva good mod at a cheap price....and what about the clutch where the fan was what do you do about that ?anything?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:16 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted by jusjay727
im looking into this one soon weed how do you have your bottles rehung ? did you do awai with the factory shroud? i think teach put his shroud back in and hung the bottles in the respective spot....i'd also like to hear how you wired it for a used fan for 20 and a controller for 40 thats a helluva good mod at a cheap price....and what about the clutch where the fan was what do you do about that ?anything?
Good Q. I had my shroud on but when i did my BL I didnt want to hack it all up so i left it off. For now I am riding without bottle but I have been meaning to get some aluminum sheets from work and have some made. I just need to get out to the truck and see when i can put them and take my measurements.

Here is a pic of just the strap I mounted to the rad to get my length measured

Once I had both sides measured, I mounted it to the fan like this pic and then mounted the whole thing to the rad.

Here is a pic of what I think you were asking for. This shows the stud off the pump and the clearance between it and the shroud

This is where I mounted my controller and as you can see, it gets power from the main power stud off the fuse box. there are two power wires. One is red and the other is yellow. One is constant and the other is switched. This way it runs when the ignition is on but not when ti is off. Thats fine but I just wired them both together to that stud off the fuse box so it will run after the engine is off. I just like is better than way and thats just my preference. But there again, I have two big batteries and can do that and get away with it.

Here is another pic

Old 02-08-2010, 02:30 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks weed i will post if i think of more.....i gotta locate a fan....

Quick Reply: Removing the clutch & fan