3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID's a no-go (sorry for another hid thread everyone)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 02:34 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's a no-go (sorry for another hid thread everyone)

whats going on, so after this blizzard has finally left, i decided to hook up my HIDs from HIDextra

nothing is lighthing up. i tried both sets of bulbs and ballasts, hook everything up the way it should, tried flipping the connection on the ballast itself, nothing at all

heres a picture, can anyone see something wrong?

this is my 3rd set of HIDs that have not worked on this truck, however i have done kits on other cars, and my bike that were all plug and turn on successes

Name:  006-1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  139.9 KB

Old 02-13-2010, 02:53 PM
tuned93
Record Breaker

they gave me a special connector with it so it was all plug 'n play... didnt have a single problem with my kit. worked the first time

Old 02-13-2010, 03:00 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

damnt. ive got both headlights off, both kits in, both kits being switched, nothing at all

Old 02-13-2010, 03:05 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man nothing like something like this to **** you off and be disappointed at the company...i haven't got any but the wiring looks as if its right i have installed similar in streetbikes and a few quads....and ashamed to say a ferd....

Old 02-13-2010, 03:43 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

thanks jay. i figured everythings where it should be

im here in MD where we just got destroyed by these back to back storms, so Ive been removing snow for 7 days straight, finally took today off to rest and i figured i might as well finally but the HIDs in, and nothing. So I'll be returning it. the worst part is that i was just going to return it anyways, but I figured theres no way I would get 2 bad kits when everyones had success with them. i guess thats my luck

Old 02-13-2010, 05:06 PM
AWE Daniel
Veteran

I dont see the special capacitor they were supposed to send with it in that pic. It plugs between the stock headlight plug and the ballast. Are you getting a lamp out on your dash? If the truck is thinking the bulb is out it will cut power to the headlight. Now I have had trouble with hidextra in the past too, but if you told them it was for a dodge ram they should have included the capacitor too. (btw their magnetic ballast that you have, in my opinion is junk. I had two fail on me in the first two weeks. Now they carry the digital (slim) ballast, and I have had them for over a month with no problems)

Last edited by AWE Daniel; 02-13-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:47 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

a special connector?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!! i swear, hidextra is complete ****, they are just out to make as much money as possible and dont care whether or not their product works for you. i didnt get a lamp out, because at one point I had only one HID hooked up while the other stock housing was still in place, and the stock headlight lit up

Old 02-13-2010, 07:03 PM
cam01ss
Amateur

i have hids installed on my 2001 and i had to get an extra relay kit you should look into it maybe it will solve the problem it basically powers the hids of your battery and uses the signal wire from the headlight turn it on. also check if power is coming out of the ballast to verify if the ballast is blown. let me know how it goes hids are aweesome and make a world of difference for night driving especially upstate new york

Attached Thumbnails HID's a no-go (sorry for another hid thread everyone)-dsc00457.jpg  
Old 02-13-2010, 07:26 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

you need the capacitors. PM HIDExtra and tell them to send you the capacitors.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:35 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cam01ss
i have hids installed on my 2001 and i had to get an extra relay kit you should look into it maybe it will solve the problem it basically powers the hids of your battery and uses the signal wire from the headlight turn it on. also check if power is coming out of the ballast to verify if the ballast is blown. let me know how it goes hids are aweesome and make a world of difference for night driving especially upstate new york
a friend of mine was telling me his ran off his battery, and were separately grounded

I will PM them.. what a trip this is

Quick Reply: HID's a no-go (sorry for another hid thread everyone)