3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:16 AM
NorcalReaper
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Job?

So I got to thinking the other day that I may eventually want to get a two tone paint job on my truck, but I was wondering a price, Yes...I do know prices vary, diffrent paints, and blah blah blah...I was just wondering what other people paid, I want to do a two tone paint job and its a single cab short bed truck, but anyway...I was JW.

Also, any comments on a possible Maaco paint job???

Old 02-14-2010, 01:09 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maaco is generally considered the cheaper option. But they have all their hidden costs. They'll charge more for simply having a truck, charge you more if it's not the original oem paint, and then they'll want to fix every ding and dent at a premium. If you can say no, I'd wait to find a good sale and then go in and talk with a salesmen. Price can fluctuate between $500 and $2500 so make sure you get a written quote.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:20 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kind of paint scheme are you thinking? and colors? and pics of your truck??

Maaco is not bad for what they do, but as in anything you get what you pay for, dont expect a show car finish!

Old 02-14-2010, 01:23 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Maaco sucks. Period. They use cheap paint and most of the time it's an Acrylic not a base/clear.

adding a two tone without an "edge" that you can catch your fingers in raises the price much more because the clearcoat must be blended.

Honeslty, a reputable shop that will warranty their work will run ~$1500 maybe more depending on if they are comfy enough with blending the clear.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:35 PM
chopperzen
Veteran

Are you adding a second color to have two-tone with your existing color? If so, what's being painted? Top or bottom? What is the original color and what is the second color?

Old 02-14-2010, 07:50 PM
AsphaltCowboy
Veteran

i went to the the rhino lining place here in town for a price for my bed and alot of people around here are having their rocker panels coated. they can match the factory paint or any color you want. might be another option if you're just looking to do the rockers.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:21 AM
NorcalReaper
Rookie

I was actually going for black on top with a silver bottom, and I would have to change the whole color scheme cause it's currently red...as far as catching my nail on the two tone, I don't think that would bug me much, I don't normally grope my truck on a daily basis. Oh, and I have pic in my album...i'm posting from my I-phone so I can't post up the pic

Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM
mdram43
Record Breaker

here in the DC area, a paint job starts at 3 grand, unless you know someone. Ive seen people with paint jobs that were in the 1000 range, and they got what they paid for. I never understood why vehicle paint jobs cost so much, and still dont. Ive seen the labor and materials, to me it just doesnt add up

Old 02-15-2010, 12:26 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

x2 about DC. Plan on bending over around here. It's cheaper to go on vacation to disneyland and have your truck painted while you're down there.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:34 PM
chopperzen
Veteran

It adds up quick if you're the one doing it! Go spend a couple hours taking handles, mirrors and trim off and then sand down the whole truck. Now clean it. Every square cm of it. Tape out everything. For a job like this where the color is red and you are going to black and silver (the worst to paint and polish), take out the all the door panels and seals and tape in the door jambs. Sand and clean them. If you aren't taking off the doors and hood to paint inside, under and jambs, tape out entire exterior of vehicle besides jambs and inside door. Now paint. Paint will take one to two hours unless in this case you're doing two colors. Spray silver half and feather. Tape the two-tone line and mask the silver. Clean and tack to paint black. Add 2 more hours for the tape and mask. Spray and tape the doors and jambs as well. Tack off entire paint and make sure all overspray is gone and start clearcoating. 3 to 4 coats of clear taking about 2 to 3 hours if you're good. After 24 hours, wet sand entire vehicle with 1500 wet. About 4-6 hours. Let the clear die for 48 hours and then wet sand in running water with 2000 wet. About 2-4 hours. Now cut and polish. That will take 4 hours or so. That's ALOT of time. By the time you've sanded down the vehicle before paint and you're tired of sanding, you've got double the sanding to do in finish at the end. So, $3000 is actually fairly low. I'd do the two-tone from red to black and silver for $4700. If one color was the existing color, then around $2800.

Last edited by chopperzen; 02-15-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Paint Job?