3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark Plugs/PCV valve Q's -04 5.7L

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:39 PM
dylansav
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs/PCV valve Q's -04 5.7L

I was wondering if anyone had any diagrams or pictures showing the correct way to do a replacement of both the spark plugs and the PCV valve. The engine is a 5.7L V8 hemi in a 04 Ram 1500.

For the PCV valve, I cannot locate it at all. If you have a picture of it- Much appreciated.

Spark Plugs- If you have a step-by-step on how to do it (with or without pics) that would be great! (never dealth with 16 plugs before...)

I couldnt find any info on the site regarding these or it wasn't conclusive.

I'd appreciate any help at all though,

Thank you

Old 02-17-2010, 05:01 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The PVC is right next the the TB. It looks like a piece you need to twist and pull up and out and thats exactly how you do it. It is tight and you will need a pair of pliers to grab it and turn it counter clockwise

As for the plugs, the coils are 10mm sockets, unbolt them, pull them up and out and the plus that goes to the other cylinder. From there you can use a socket, 3" extension and spark plug socket to get them out. In my 04 it had Champion 509 plugs and thats what I put back in.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM
dylansav
Amateur

I can't find that PCV for the life of me though. I looked around the TB and even under the HEMI cover. Would you have any pics to show it?

Does that go for all 16 plugs? Sounds simple enough eh?

Hey thanks for the reply!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Beastro
Veteran

ok here is a pic its out of a book and off my cell so its not the best. but the arrow pointing to the oil cap is the PCV sensor the other arrow is what you are looking for. its attachment I dont know how you open thos? plugs, take the hole intake system out for room like weed said coil packs are 10mm socket pull the coil pack and there is the plug the other is next to it just gently pull on the plug boot. on the the new plugs put anti seez and dieletric greas have fun do the passengers side first the the easyest then start on the last 2 by the firewall on the drivers side.

Last edited by Beastro; 02-17-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM
rboal4

I just replaced mine last Friday on my 2004 QC due to a misfire code. It took around 4 hours to do all plugs, oil change, and an oxygen sensor in an undersized garage with the door open during a blizzard. It was also my first time working on the Hemi but have done plenty of tune-ups in the past and found it somewhat comparable to the past tuneups. My only advice would be to take off the Hemi cover and air filter housing before you start. Then remove all of the 10mm coil bolts, this would have saved me a little time in the long run. I did the passenger side first because I have read on here that the master cylinder was a real pain to get around and I wanted to get a feel for the easy ones. On a side note I did find one spark plug on cylinder 6 was almost completely backed out with oil on it. This put a real scare in me that I bought a truck with a cracked head but after spending some time checking it out, I could find nothing wrong. Overall I think this was a much easier tune up than some of the other performance cars I have had in the past. Btw I just replaced the original Champion plugs with the Champion platinum plugs, I think they were .99 more. Good luck and enjoy the experience, I know I learned a lot about my truck that day.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:38 PM
dylansav
Amateur

I appreciate all of your input on this. I'm planning hopefully to do it this weekend when the sun's out and it will be above 20F. I have the tools and your advice ready. Thank you for the pic also.

If I get a chance, i'll post some pics of the whole procedure here.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs/PCV valve Q's -04 5.7L