3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Taillights staying on

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:49 PM
2003Rammer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taillights staying on

the tail lights and dome lights stay on for a long time on my 03 Ram 1500. What's weird is that for no reason, they will just come on long after they've gone off. I just replaced a battery and I'm sure that was sucking the life out of it. Any suggestions as to what might be wrong. It seems like I've had to replace tail lights more frequently than normal. Any ideas or does anyone out there have the same problem?

Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've moved your post to the 3rd Gen Ram forum since that's what your truck is. Take a moment to fill out your profile info so that we know as much as we can about your truck when you post. Welcome to DF.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 PM
myram
Professional

sounds to me light a faulty ground.... was your truck recently painted or anything? could be that the wires are crossing but thats rare... i took mine to the dealer for the reason of the lights staying on everytime i cranked the truck... but i was told it was the multi functional switch so i replaced that... didn't fix it then i took it back and they told me the connection from the fuse box was half corroded asked to see it and they weren't lieing... so they replaced that as well...

Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Devster

I had a that problem with my truck when I first got it. Turned out to be the brake pedal was engaging the switch. I forget exactly what I did to rig it till I got it in for warranty repair. Try propping something under the pedal to hold it up and see if does it again. Of course remove it while driving!!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:01 PM
boopadoopa
Professional

I had the same Issue However it turned out to be a Faulty Trailer Brake. Even though the trailer wasnt connected the inside brake unit was defective causing the brake lights to just go on at times even when i wasnt in the truck. Ended up melting the wires going to the brakes and caught fire and the fire went out when the spare tire blew. Thats what the fire dept said. But caused some major damage to the truck..

Quick Reply: Taillights staying on