3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

To end a fight

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 PM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by the shop that my '04 QC 4x4 HEMI has 4.10's from the factory. Any of you know if this was an option? I haven't checked it personally.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by KY BIGRAM
I was told by the shop that my '04 QC 4x4 HEMI has 4.10's from the factory. Any of you know if this was an option? I haven't checked it personally.
I'm pretty sure that's not true, the only gear ratio's that I know of in any 3rd gen Dodge 1500's is 3.23, 3.55, and 3.92. If you have a 6er you most likely got 3.23's or 3.55's. The 8 cylinders came with 3.55's or 3.92's if you have 20" flower petals installed from the factory.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 AM
KY BIGRAM
Veteran

Originally Posted by Shiloh 24
I'm pretty sure that's not true, the only gear ratio's that I know of in any 3rd gen Dodge 1500's is 3.23, 3.55, and 3.92. If you have a 6er you most likely got 3.23's or 3.55's. The 8 cylinders came with 3.55's or 3.92's if you have 20" flower petals installed from the factory.
Flower petals! Don't say that, I hate them enough already, funny.

Thanks for the input, guys I'll pop the cover and check myself. I had the rear axle replaced after an accident, lately is has been acting up. Sometimes in reverse it will just lock up, I need to check it out anyways.

Oh, if anyone wants to trade some nice 20"s for your 17 or 18"s with good A/Ts, give me a shout.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:47 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

Originally Posted by KY BIGRAM
I think the 4.10's were only an option with the 2500 and 3500's.

There have been guys who have posted pics of their diff's basically imploding. The diff shell basically gets deformed and cracks and breaks to the point of needing a new one. If you ever replace the LSD, I'd recommend Detroit TruTrac or Auburn. You could upgrade to different gears but 4.10's won't give you much of an increase over what you have and 4.56 is a bit overkill for a stock height truck.
My truck came stock with an open diff, so I can't compare with that, but I second getting a Trutrac. Also, I have 4.56's with the stock 20" wheels, and I don't think it's overkill. But, maybe that's just me, as I sometimes pretend that I have drag truck.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:30 AM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.56 is a bit overkill for a stock height truck.
The gear ratio in your rear axle doesnt give 2 chits whether the truck they push around is stock or 12" of lift.. Its all about what size tires they are turning..

Old 02-24-2010, 04:32 AM
abarmby
Champion

When people mention the problems involving the stock Dodge LSD, they always seem to mention that the problems revolve around the "C clips".
This is untrue.
C clips are used, to stop axles from moving outwards from the diff. Pulling out the wheel and brakes ect, with it.
That's what "C clips" are.
Retaining clips are what hold the clutch packs in place in the stock Dodge Anti-spin/LSD.
These are the clips that cause all the damage when the ends snap off and the clips work their way out of the clutch pack pockets. They either get chewed up in the gear sets, or as in my case, litterally score and chew their way through the carrier.
A pic of one of my damaged clips.
Name:  adjusted2.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  36.0 KB
Many people I believe turn up at dealerships saying "they have heard about C clip problems" with Dodge LSD's and the Technicians don't have a clue what they're on about.
That's where the confusion over this issue happens I believe.
Now if they had said, clutch pack retaining clip issues.........the light would go on and yes Dodge do know about this problem.
They sure have enough warranty claims over it to hurt them so they will know lol.
The problem is typically found, in the 03-05 years in 1500 1/2 ton vehicles with the stock Dodge anti-spin rear.
I had to replace my unit due to the above mentioned problem and used a DTT and have not looked back since.
A highly recomended mod especially to those trucks in the year range above.
In those years, it's not a case of if the LSD goes........rather when IMHO.
Hope this is good info?
Al

Last edited by abarmby; 02-24-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:38 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abarmby
When people mention the problems involving the stock Dodge LSD, they always seem to mention that the problems revolve around the "C clips".
This is untrue.
C clips are used, to stop axles from moving outwards from the diff. Pulling out the wheel and brakes ect, with it.
That's what "C clips" are.
Retaining clips are what hold the clutch packs in place in the stock Dodge Anti-spin/LSD.
These are the clips that cause all the damage when the ends snap off and the clips work their way out of the clutch pack pockets. They either get chewed up in the gear sets, or as in my case, litterally score and chew their way through the carrier.
A pic of one of my damaged clips.

Many people I believe turn up at dealerships saying "they have heard about C clip problems" with Dodge LSD's and the Technicians don't have a clue what they're on about.
That's where the confusion over this issue happens I believe.
Now if they had said, clutch pack retaining clip issues.........the light would go on and yes Dodge do know about this problem.
They sure have enough warranty claims over it to hurt them so they will know lol.
The problem is typically found, in the 03-05 years in 1500 1/2 ton vehicles with the stock Dodge anti-spin rear.
I had to replace my unit due to the above mentioned problem and used a DTT and have not looked back since.
A highly recomended mod especially to those trucks in the year range above.
In those years, it's not a case of if the LSD goes........rather when IMHO.
Hope this is good info?
Al
Good clear explanation.
Thanks,

Quick Reply: To end a fight