3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:19 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 98cherryram
2600 at wot

sometimes I can pull 3200...

are you aying your truck shifts at 2600rpms at WOT? Are you serious or have I misunderstood something???

How many miles are on the trans filter and fluid?

Old 02-27-2010, 01:34 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, 2600 seems REALLY early at WOT...

Old 02-27-2010, 01:43 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cherry, our trucks are the same, and mine is shifting WOT 1 to 2 at about 5400, check you rev limiter with the tuner make sure it aint set too low. I am assuming is was different without the tuner? if you set it back to stock and runs a higher rpm at 1 to 2 then I would say it was the tuner. Try that before blaming the tranny!!

Old 02-28-2010, 02:01 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My shift points have always been early, and I checked the rev limiter, and its only from 1st to 2nd. I have read everything I can find online and it seems to be the throttle valve cable from what I can tell, all of my symptoms match that, I have to have the gas at WOT to get a down**** at all, my 1st to 2nd shift is real early, and all of my shifts are really soft. Just for chits and giggles I set the rev limiter on the tuner at max just to see if it changed anything and it didnt... I will try the Throttle valve cable and keep you guys updated as to whether or not thats the problem, I have to work all morning tomorrow but if I get done early enough I will check it then and update everyone.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:51 AM
RamIt33
Professional

Try putting it in first gear and riding it as far as 5000 or so and then shift it to second... Then put it in drive and try it again see what the out come is???

Old 02-28-2010, 03:57 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My shift points have always been early, and I checked the rev limiter, and its only from 1st to 2nd. I have read everything I can find online and it seems to be the throttle valve cable from what I can tell, all of my symptoms match that, I have to have the gas at WOT to get a down**** at all, my 1st to 2nd shift is real early, and all of my shifts are really soft. Just for chits and giggles I set the rev limiter on the tuner at max just to see if it changed anything and it didnt... I will try the Throttle valve cable and keep you guys updated as to whether or not thats the problem, I have to work all morning tomorrow but if I get done early enough I will check it then and update everyone.
I am going to agree with you about the TV needing adjustment. If it shifted early before installing the tuner than it's not the euner. I am using a SC3865 and shift way higher. So something isn't right. Good luck...

Old 02-28-2010, 03:58 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Done that a few times, it shifts just fine if I run it in first then shift it into 2nd, actually its impressively fast, enough to put your head into the seat, but if I run it in drive its absolutely pathetic, but thats because I dont even reach the power curve.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:05 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The code was from before the tuner, I just got the tuner today, I just checked the code out on my tuner and its the first time I've seen it. Either way I want to fix my chitty shift point. I'm almost certain my transmission is not going bad though, so it should be something else and I was reading about the TV cable being a cause for that.
Cherry, I believe your TV needs to be adjusted.
THROTTLE VALVE CABLE
DESCRIPTION
Transmission throttle valve cable (Fig. 244) adjustment
is extremely important to proper operation.
This adjustment positions the throttle valve, which
controls shift speed, quality, and part-throttle downshift
sensitivity.
If cable setting is too loose, early shifts and slippage
between shifts may occur. If the setting is too
tight, shifts may be delayed and part throttle downshifts
may be very sensitive.

Let us know what the problem was...

Quick Reply: Superchips