3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Battery Terminals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 02:38 PM
dmull013
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Terminals?

I went to disconnect my battery because there was alot of corrosion happening on the connections and I could not get it off. Is there some sort of trick or tool i need to get the cables off? I loosened the nut and wiggled it and tried to pull up and nothing. Tried pliers and a small prybar and it wouldnt come up. I noticed that there is a "rib" if you will going around the terminal and i didnt want to really mess things up so I thought I would seek some assistance before going any further.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Murrayman23

Alrighty, try to take a screwdrive and pry in between the terminal clamp. Make sure the clamp nut or screw is all the way off or unscrewed and try to get a flathead screwdriver in between there to open it up. If not, just loosen the nut all the way and grab the terminal wire and wiggle it left to right till it breaks itself loose. At the same time your doing that try to pull up slightly. It might take a good amount of wiggling but it should come off.
2. A 2002 shouldn't have that much corrosion. Try to clean all the sulfer and gunk off as best you can. My suggestion is mix water with baking soda and pour some on there and clean as best you can. That corrosion can really lower the power going to your accessories and truck in general. If you put on an accessory and see the lights dim for a second that might be the reason.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Murrayman23

Oh ya, also try to take a small hammer or pry bar and hit the side of the terminal clamp. That might help to get it loose also.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:18 PM
00dakSport
All Star

had the same w/ my d.
they do make a tool just for this, w/ two brushes.
one fits around the terminal, other side fits in the connecter. (cleans to bar metal.)
try auto stores or the depot.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:42 PM
KingsMan
Amateur

When ya get everything cleaned up and ready to put back together, those little felt anticorrosion washers/pads that go around the terminals under the clamp will prevent almost all corrosion from coming back.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:09 PM
dmull013
Professional

I have the cleaner tool, I just cannot get the cables off. So I wont hurt it if i pry the clamp apart where the bolt goes through? I had the bolt out before and it was still not coming up. I will take some pics to show.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:32 PM
southernbnb
Captain

naw bro you can pry them apart no problem. just be careful when you do it. you dont want to stretch the terminal to far. and then yeah clean them up real good. that tool works great and like murray said some baking soda and water. what ever you do dont poor coke on your battery tryin to clean the corrosion off. my grandmother decided to try that and poured a whole can of coke on her battery! i was cleaning that mess for like two hours!!!! lol

Old 02-27-2010, 06:21 PM
ELITE-2

They make a battery terminal puller similar to a pulley puller. I have had one for a long time, no idea where it came from, try your local auto part store

Quick Reply: Battery Terminals?