3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram Shakes @ times, 60+ mph, NO Idea.. Magnaflow Exhuast

Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 AM
DODGEtheRAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Ram Shakes @ times, 60+ mph, NO Idea.. Magnaflow Exhuast

Ram Enthusiasts I need help.....

I own a 2007 Ram 1500 - Reg cab- Sport- 4x4 - 5.7 liter Hemi
include a K&N FIPK CIA with 2.5" pipe off cat to new MagnaFlow Muffler, single exit to Dual 3" tips..... No other performance mods ONLY 27,000 miles

I have been having trouble with the vehicle shaking at highway speeds. The Ram was brought into dealer with 22500 miles and was diagnosed for all stock Goodyear Wrangler tires being defective or damaged because they warped off the radial causing the shake. I had Goodyear replace 3 tires for free and I paid for 1. Replaced with Goodyear Wrangler -Silent Armor- in stock size... also had the transfer case replaced that same time.

Upon initial replacement I still felt the shake but wanted to wear the tires in. 4000 miles later i noticed bad wear on the front left edge. Brought back into the dealer, they rotated drive shaft and replaced front left tie rods. Got the truck back the steering wheel and truck still shake at highway speeds still.......

Brought it back again, and the entire drive shaft and steering shaft were replaced. the steering wheel is much better at highway speeds but i still feel shake during accel. and decel. on the highway.

NO IDEA..... looking more into these Dodge forums i feel like i may have brought this problem on myself. is it the after market exhaust and the MDS that makes my vehicle shake? It does feel at times like the shake is a feedback from the back pressure of the exhaust.......

ANY help is appreciated

Attached Thumbnails Ram Shakes @ times, 60+ mph, NO Idea.. Magnaflow Exhuast-img_3557.jpg   Ram Shakes @ times, 60+ mph, NO Idea.. Magnaflow Exhuast-img_3564.jpg  

Last edited by DODGEtheRAM; 03-01-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:22 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

I really don't think the exhaust would cause this shaking. I don't exactly know what could/would cause it, but I HIGHLY doubt its the exhaust work you did, or the MDS for that matter.

I a problem similar to yours, and my front tires were cupped to all hell. I rotated the tires, put the good ones up front, no more shaking. Im guessing I had knocked the alignment off somehow, which caused the tires to cup, which caused the truck to shake. Now I have new tires, new alignment, no problems.

A member here suggested to me that my front struts may be bad. I guess that wasn't my problem, but may be yours? Just throwing it out there. I don't know too much about anything really, but other guys here are pretty well-versed with our trucks and Im sure they'll chime in ina bit. Good luck with the truck buddy...

Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM
DODGEtheRAM

Thanks.
I feel the same way that is not related but i just don't know where to turn..... I have been thinking about getting a performance mod chip, but i dont know where to start on those, how that will inturn effect the MDS, etc....?

I mean after 4 new tires, new transfer case, new drive shaft, new steering shaft, new alignment twcie, and new tie rods i have no idea where to turn. But truly do not feel they are related...

Thanks for the advice and will look further into struts, but feels likes its a rotation problem: ex u-joints, rear end, axles, trans.......... idk

Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 PM
KingsMan
Amateur

Many worn or loose parts can cause the shaking, but since it happens at certain speeds it sounds like something's out-of-round. IMO the Goodyears would be the first suspect. I've never had one that would stay round, let alone one that wouldn't have a belt separate. You've seen that with the initial diagnosis of all 4 tires being defective...

However, a truck with 225,000 miles is gonna have much wear on it's steering and suspension components. You have your work cut out for ya!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 PM
DODGEtheRAM

LOL thanks for the advice. Im not sure this truck will ever make it to 225,000 miles. that was typo!

It was initial diagnosed at 22,500 miles sorry *for the confusion* and thanks for making me aware of the typo!

Appreciate your support.

JD

Old 03-01-2010, 01:06 PM
nateroach
Veteran

I would say it is not very likely that the exhaust causes your problems. Sounds more like a drive train or suspension issue.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:34 PM
SlvrRAM05
Rookie

Those wranglers are just terrible...flee very quickly as fast as you can. I had the same issues you are having, shaking at 60+ and on accel / decel, went thru wrangler after wrangler...finally put vogues on...didn't have a problem with them or the mastercrafts I have on now.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:55 PM
MoparRamMan

shocks? 20" wheels? Bad Balance?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:33 PM
HORNYRAM
Default I have the same problem after installing the ready lift 2.5" kit

The truck shakes If you have this kit I have been told it is the angle on the front drive shafts does anybody else have this problem and know how to fix it?

Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Edm6.7
Default 2007 Dodge 3500 DRW

10 months ago the truck started shaking at 65 mph. It would disappear at 5 mph faster or slower. Had front tires balanced, then tires rotated from rear to front and balanced and front end alignment done but still same problem. Had dealer exchanged driveshaft off a 2011 3500 and still same thing. They exchanged 4 rear tires of new truck and no change. They then put new Wrangler tires on front end and shimmy/shake disappeared.
The front Goodyear wranglers only had 13000 miles on them. Will be getting 6 Michelins and hopefully problem will be history.

Problem with wranglers appear to be inside tread seperation. Had previously replaced front tires as they were seperating.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram Shakes @ times, 60+ mph, NO Idea.. Magnaflow Exhuast