3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5 day tag for tint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010 | 11:26 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by AsphaltCowboy
you mean to tell me you dont have a buddy in the inspection biz?
Very true. Every truck owner on here needs on buddy that does inspections. It will save you some green one of these days.

Back on topic: Since the OP is from VA, I assume that's where he got the ticket. According to www.tintlaws.com:
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
• Front Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
• Back Side Windows Must allow more than 35% of light in.
• Rear Window Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Looks like they are a little strict out in your state, but there is hope for you yet if you don't want to ruin that film job. Some states do not allow you to do this, but it is listed that VA does allow you to get special medical exemptions for darker film than what is already the legal limit.

Reasons you might get an exemption: Everything from migraines to sensitive eyes.

This is my trick to running illegal window tinting: 1. The first thing I do before I even stop while getting pulled over is roll my windows down and flip the dome light on. Don't even let the officer get out of the car before you do this. Do it while slowing down. Now, I know that some states are sticklers for film, so go to the eye doc and get that prescription for the tint. I don't know how VA works. You might have to go through the city/county/state to get everything to work right, but then again, you might just be able to keep the little piece of prescription paper in your truck and it would work fine.

Old 03-02-2010 | 01:29 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Here's a crazy thought.......how about putting LEGAL tint on your windows??? Wow! Amazing!! You will avoid all trouble then! LOL

Old 03-02-2010 | 01:39 PM
ragnar

Originally Posted by 08RamMan
Here's a crazy thought.......how about putting LEGAL tint on your windows??? Wow! Amazing!! You will avoid all trouble then! LOL
But then the coppers will see my barrels of moonshine piled in the backseat!

Old 03-02-2010 | 06:39 PM
AsphaltCowboy
Veteran

Originally Posted by ragnar
thats why it comes in jars so you can hide the crates.

Old 03-02-2010 | 07:14 PM
ram man17
Captain

Originally Posted by ragnar
You dont have backseats...
Just playin man plus withh most legal tint you can see straight through! I like to be secretive....

Old 03-02-2010 | 07:50 PM
bwhite757
All Star

In today's economy, you're going to be pulled more and more for small things so the state/city/counties can make some extra cash. I know around my area ticket quotas for state troopers have been raised 200% from last year. Tint, seat belts, noise violations, etc. are all going to be on the rise to make some quick fine $$$.

I haven't worn a seat belt in 13 years (because I was in a wreck when I was 15 and wearing the seat belt almost killed me) and up until 4 months ago, I hadn't received 1 seat belt violation. In the last 4 months, I've received 7. The same thing is going to happen with the tint, my suggestion, have it removed and put legal on it and be done.

Old 03-18-2010 | 12:27 AM
liftedpsd

Originally Posted by bwhite757
In today's economy, you're going to be pulled more and more for small things so the state/city/counties can make some extra cash. I know around my area ticket quotas for state troopers have been raised 200% from last year. Tint, seat belts, noise violations, etc. are all going to be on the rise to make some quick fine $$$.

I haven't worn a seat belt in 13 years (because I was in a wreck when I was 15 and wearing the seat belt almost killed me) and up until 4 months ago, I hadn't received 1 seat belt violation. In the last 4 months, I've received 7. The same thing is going to happen with the tint, my suggestion, have it removed and put legal on it and be done.

Lol i had to register to reply to this guy...First ill stay on topic and say im getting 5% all the way around on my 2008 dodge ram 1500 4 door tomorrow. And off topic LEO's dont have quotas lol if they want to write 5 tickets in 2 hours they can or they can write 5 tickets in 2 days. it doesnt matter, they dont get paid any more or less for tickets. Now i will agree some LEO get reamed out by their superior officers if they dont ever write tickets like ie 1 ticket in 1 month but other than that no quota lol.

Old 03-18-2010 | 12:43 AM
rocket23
Champion

every cop I saw on patrol looked at my truck and I saw it on there faces, each one had that "He's rolling close too the edge on them windows" they are lighter than the factory rears I think thats what saves me so far. Iknow different towns in this state are pita's I know a guy had his ordered off in the town he worked in! where he lived they didn't care.But going too work in this cops town is a joke

Old 03-18-2010 | 02:41 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by 08RamMan
That would be like cheating or something...
I'm a old coot with implanted lens and skin that's allergic to the sun. I'll try to get a perscription, if anyone can get one am sure it's me. Need to be careful though. They might find out I'm blind and shouldn't be driving at all. Folks here think I'm just chasing them when I'm on the sidewalk. Actually I'm just trying to get back on the damn street. No need to worry, I won't be back stateside for another four days. Besides, I have already checked out the sidewalk route and it doesn't get me home.

Old 03-18-2010 | 07:57 AM
MOusafLRT03

Originally Posted by rcman0056
Got pulled over on the bike and did not have an inspection sticker on it. I was told I had 7 days. Nothing came in the mail and the bike is still not inspected.
one of the reasons i stayed with South Dakota tags. "what's an inspection?" no worries over here. oh.... and "what's an exhaust" also follows true.

Quick Reply: 5 day tag for tint?