3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Lanceb2b
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 question

Hey all,
Well first let me say, that I am a first time 4x4 owner, and in fact a first time truck owner.

Having said that, I would like to learn the basics of how 4x4 works and how to determine when I should and should not use 4x4 mode. I think I understand when to use 4x4 hi and 4x4 lo, but am very unsure of when I should switch from 2wd to 4wd. As you will read from my first experience below, I found out 4x4 shouldn't be used under normal road conditions.

It all started when driving in a rainy/snowy environment (no accumulation on the roads at this time) about 2 weeks after I bought the truck. I had yet to use 4x4, so I thought it's kinda messy out, I'll try it out.
Well about 5 minutes after driving and turning into a parking lot, I started feeling this binding sensation coming from the drive train. So I turned off the 4x4 and it went away, so I continued in 2wd mode and thought to my self... I wonder if I did something wrong, or is there something up with the 4wd system.
I tried it again the next AM, with similar conditions and I got the same result.
Having never owned or experienced using 4x4 before I thought oh-oh... there's something wrong.
I was corrected by my local dodge dealer. This is expected when using a vehicle in conditions where 4x4 isn't needed....
My question... how do I determine when I need to use 4x4 and when not to??? Maybe understanding how it works will help me figure this out.
I know with alot of snow accumulation on the roads, or I'm heading out onto an old logging road (muddy and swampy) I'd use it.
But obviously there is a "line" where the truck thinks I need 4x4 and when I don't.
Can anyone help explain things to me a bit...? Thanks

Old 03-04-2010, 12:32 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Your truck should run in 2wd in all situations but the softest conditions, if you have any bit of "solid" traction you should not be running 4wd.

The reason for this is that the truck in 4wd does not compensate for the front tires when they turn and are moving at a different rate than that of the wheels in the back. The wheels in 4wd are all meant to turn at the same rate except from side to side unless you have a locker or a LSD(Limited Slip Differential) So as soon as your front tires start moving at a different rate than the rear tires on a solid surface what you get is hop from the outside tire turning slower than it should for your turn and your inside tire turning at a faster rate than it should for that tire in the turn so your truck will even turn less while this is happening because you will have miniscule hops straight forward while you are turning.

Hope this helps and someone else may hop in who understands this slightly better.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would also help told us about your truck, year, manual or electronic 4x4 switch, gearing , auto or manual tranny.
also it should tell you in the owners manual

Old 03-04-2010, 03:49 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

No 4by should be ran on dryish or grippy surfaces

Old 03-04-2010, 06:13 PM
sbsga
Professional

You should lock in to 4 about once a month to keep everything in optimum shape. You should never put your truck in 4wd on pavement or gravel as there is no forgiving surface. If you are in the snow and stuck just use it to get out. remember you bought a 4x4 not an all wheel drive, they are for different purposes. switch it in 4 when 2 is not getting the job done or making a mess doing it. always try 4high 1st. you should only really use 4 low to creep out of a hole or pull something. also never turn your wheel all the way over to either direction while in 4wd because it adds stress to the axles. I usually find a soft dirt road or something similar to lock it in and roll about 50 or 60 feet just to keep things in tip top shape. also a helpful tip. when i want to come out of 4 low i will obviously shift the tranny to neutral, then I make the shift to 2wd and then I put the truck in reverse and back up about 2 to 3 feet. this is a much safer way to disengage and make sure you are back in 2wd

Last edited by sbsga; 03-04-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:56 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

yea and remember when your turning in 4x4 and theres snow or ice on the roads make sure you over compensate alittle for the turn. 4x4 kind of slides you through the turn as opposed to doing it in a straight shot. also, when its snowy and your going up a hill or down the road 4x4 isnt meant to keep you in a straight line its meant to get you up that hill or down the road, so expect to still slide and drift alittle. i always like to stop, switch to 4x4, wait a couple seconds then go. same for disengaging. and just cause your in 4x4 dont mean you can drive at normal speeds. slow down , especially in turns. and ditto to everyone else, NEVER use 4x4 on wet or dry roads.

Quick Reply: 4x4 question