3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 ram 2500 rear brakes stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 PM
elite1msmith
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 ram 2500 rear brakes stuck?

i belive that my 04 ram 2500 has afrozen drivers rear caliper that is sticking? i drove home, smelled the brake dust and smelled smoke from it

is this a common problem, besindes a new caliper any other fixes , or anything else i should check?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

There are sliders that the pads move along. if those are all gunked up, the pads won't move properly and could be the cause of your sticking issue. A good metal brush or dremel tool will clean them up nicely. Also, there is caliper grease that should be applied as well. i would check into that first before swapping out a caliper and going through the PIA bleeding process.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:36 PM
elite1msmith
Rookie

p'ulled it off today , caliper will need to get replaced, question what exactly is the bleeding procdure for this truck?

does any one have a place that i can find an online reapir manuel? i had the PDF town for my 01 dodge

Old 03-05-2010, 12:57 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I always start at the furthest point from the master cylinder. So, I go pass rear, driver rear, pass front, driver front. Always worked well for me. Make sure you use the proper wrench size on those bleeder's they will break and use the box side of the wrench.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 PM
martyweir

Having the same problem here, but mine is on the pass rear side. How did you know your caliper was shot? I took mine apart, thinking it was the E-brake. I have an issue where my e-brake pedal doesnt always pop all the way back up. Nothing I could find, so I put it back together.

Upon reassembly, one of the two pistons did not want to retract back into the caliper, and I had to get a metal bar & use 2 clamps on it to get it to retract. I messed with it a bit, reassembled it and it seemed to be ok - until yesterday - same issue.

SO, wondering if it's shot or if I can take the piston out & clean it / lube it up?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I'm thinking you need a new caliper marty. It's easier and IMO safer than pulling the piston out and hoping you got the seal seated correctly and properly.

Quick Reply: 04 ram 2500 rear brakes stuck?