3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:11 PM
newfiebullet
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light

Just got home with my new toy 07 ram 2500 slt hemi. on the way home (12 hour dirt road ) the check engine light came on? is there anything i can check? air filter? there is no dodge dealership near so what can i do to find out what this light is on for?

Old 03-06-2010, 09:42 PM
03MopaRamman
Captain

Not sure about 07 Ram but my 03 and the wifes PT you can check it yourself. Turn ign key to on then off quickly 3 times and then leave key in fwd on position. A "P" code will apear in place of your digital mileage(P0456) then it will flash Done. Google the code or check Haynes manual and it will guide you to the problem. When you correct the problem then you can clear the code.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:23 AM
newfiebullet
Professional

When i do this it flashs ----- for a few seconds then comes up done. How do i clear this light, what is the procedure. Sorry guys but im a dodge newbie. Ill post some pics when i gets her cleaned up. beautiful truck.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 AM
03MopaRamman
Captain

Wow thats strange engine light on with no P Code. Did you find anything under the hood that looks outa place from that ride you took.

Everytime I get a light I get a number. Wait a few days and it might cycle itself off. I get the same code if I idle to long in cold weather but it's due to my set-up and goes away on it's own.

To answer your Q: 3 ways I know A) use an OBD tool B) your Tuner (Superchips?) or C) unplug the battery for five minutes (some guys don't like that) I've never had a problem except momentary pannic because sometimes takes two key starts for starter to engage afterwards. A & B plug into the port under drivers side dash )You can see it)

Last edited by 03MopaRamman; 03-07-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Fix my ABC from ADC
Old 03-07-2010, 11:01 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

You can try resetting the pcm and see if the code comes back. Either disconnect the battery for a few or pull the pcm fuse and turn the key a couple times to drain any residual power. If the check engine light comes back on either try to do the key trick again or take it to an autozone and have them hook the scanner up to it to get the code.

BTW, nice purchase man.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:55 AM
newfiebullet
Professional

Did the battery trick and light is gone out i guess ill wait to see if it comes back on to see if there is a code. thanks guys i love the forum spend hours and hours on it.

Quick Reply: check engine light