3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tb spacers

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:36 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tb spacers

ok, my father has a tb spacer on his truck, he swears up hill and down it gives him torque... but then thee was a guy on here said it doesnt do anything for him....

if ti works or doesnt, explain it to me, why it does or does not work...

i know the 2nd gen works froma plenum so it ( tb spacers) dont work on my truck, but his is a 4.7...

Old 03-07-2010, 09:43 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

it just makes a whistle noise. tb spacers only work on carburated engines i think is the reason....

Old 03-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Albertaramfan
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally have had mixed experience with them. My old 98 Dakota with a 3.9L said they worked (according to the butt dyno) but that exact same tb spacer pulled out and put into my 94 1500 5.2L says they're worthless crap. Perhaps it all depends on the application??

Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have personally seen a dyno test performed using two of the in the tube type products and an Airaid brand TB spacer in a modern throttle body engine. In the case of one of the in tube turbulence products and the TB spacer, there were NO measurable gains in HP or TQ and in the case of one of the in-tube products, specifically the "Tornado" there was a LOSS of HP!
Further testing that I was not a witness to showed no measurable MPG gains.

In response to a similar test, an Airaid technician responded with the following:

Subject: Re: AIRAID.COM Contact

Dear Sir, thank you for your inquiry in our products. The spacer makes no HP on the Dyno. If you haven't noticed any power on the Dyno or the track then it's doing what it's supposed to. You would not see any gains down the 1/4 mile or increases on the Dyno. The idea of the spacer is to improve overall drivability and fuel mileage. In most cases when people install a bolt on part they expect better mileage and power, what happens is they are into the throttle a lot more than before trying to test performance and that's when the decrease in mileage happens.
Sincerely,
<Airaid Technician>

To me, that's saying "our product does nothing"...

Your father feels gains with his TB spacer because he WANTS to feel gains...

Old 03-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Albertaramfan
I personally have had mixed experience with them. My old 98 Dakota with a 3.9L said they worked (according to the butt dyno) but that exact same tb spacer pulled out and put into my 94 1500 5.2L says they're worthless crap. Perhaps it all depends on the application??
Must be individual because I put one in my 98 Dakota w/ the 3.9 and it did nothing. Was glad I only paid $20 for it.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

It worked wonders on the old TBI motors and Carbed setups. MPI not so much.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:47 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paper weight!!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 AM
hondarider525
Professional

Yup i think that airraid email hammer posted should be enough for everyone.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:50 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran

They work great to hold fishtank lids down so the bloody cats cant get the lid open to eat the fish!!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:03 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

i can understand they dont work, and i didnt think they did, but he, like hammer said, wants to feel the gain... his argument was, "well if they were designed for the older motors, then why did they come out with them for the trucks anyway... not way back when the cabr motors were out"

he said right now he can take his whole intake off, put his filter on his tb, spacer included, and at a stop, punch it and spin tires easy...
i think hes retarted for doing that, but its what he said he did, and then put his cold air back on for what ever reason

Quick Reply: tb spacers