3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I got new tires..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 AM
boopadoopa
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I got new tires..

So Im taking a Survey. White letters out or blackwalls out? I like them out but seems I dont see too many trucks looking that way anymore? Opinions?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:45 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size and make are they? I think 20's look better black wall! Maybe some pics would help also!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 AM
boopadoopa
Professional

They are 20's I bought the truck used a month ago and said I wanted new tires as the Dakota I was trading in had tires that were 1 month old on them so I wanted new tires or no deal. The tires on the truck were the origionals and probably have 3 months life left on them. The dealer gave me new tires but wouldnt mount them and said they would send them to my house to put on whenever I wanted to. Saturday 4 Goodyear Wrangler HP White letters showed up at my door. So Im undecided what to do?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Adam_MA
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer black out, but it's a personal decision. If you like the white out, put them out.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:19 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion

I would take them and trade them in on anything a tire store will trade you for!! Even if it costs you some to go with it, but the cooper zeon ltz should be cheaper!! you will be SO much happier with that tire than those crapyears!!!

Trust me there is bound to be a tire dealer that will trade you for brand new tires!!

Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
dmull013
Professional

Yeah the goodyears are the worst tire. Do whatever you can to trade/sell/exchange them for something else, even if you do have to pay a little like smknram said.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:25 PM
whipkeysd
Rookie
I agree with trading for something more aggressive even if it costs you a little more and put the black wall out. I used to like the white out but we're not in the 90s anymore, styles have changed. That being said if you would be more happy with the white out go for it.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 PM
dublduty
Professional

Oop's posted twice....idiot!

Last edited by dublduty; 03-08-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:49 PM
dublduty
Professional

Get rid of the Hp's. They are garbage. 3 out of 4 Goodyears on my truck have an issue with broken belts and or radial. One will not even balance properly.If I rotate them then I end up with a bad radial pull and will end up in the ditch. Sad thing is I don't even tow with the damn thing so how they went bad is anyone's guess. To answer your question, I personally like the letters out but only when the tires and lettering is spotless. Nothing worse than the letters all gunked up with grime and brake dust. X2 on the Zeons

Old 03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I'm in the minority around here. I got 55k trouble free miles out of my HP's and still had legal tread on them when I replaced them. To my own surprise, I decided to put identical HP's back on the truck. Mainly because they ride good to me, I don't do a lot of off-roading but the HP's had always gotten me in and out of anywhere I needed to go including some mud, snow, and sand even. But also because I think they look good on the factory 20 rims. Next set, I'm probably going with something more aggressive and new rims along with them but am happy with the HP's for now. I never expected to get that many miles out of a factory set of GY's because I never did on any other vehicle I had that had factory GY's on it. Had made up my mind from the first month I bought the truck that they would be replaced with a different brand. Not many tire dealers around here and I like to deal local so I can get the perks like free rotation, etc. Had the Coopers been an option at a local dealer, I may have gone that route. I know a lot of people seem to be happy with them.

With all that said, I've always liked RWL tires. But, my honest opinion, they don't and won't look good on a RAM with factory 20's. But, again, just my personal opinion.

Also, FWIW, I recently benefitted by staying with the HP's. My new set has less than 10k on them but the sidewall on one of them got cut pretty bad. Don't know how or where, my brother pointed it out to me. It was one of those that just looked like no big deal unless you pull the rubber back and then see how deep it really is. Sort of like cutting your arm and pulling the skin back and seeing bone - yikes. Took it to the tire shop I bought them from and they recommended, although it seemed to be holding up and holding air just fine, to swap it out with the factory HP spare after they checked the spare out and found it to be perfectly alright. Then just use the cut tire as a spare. So I still have a matched set and didn't have to buy another $200 tire. My main concern, as was theirs, was using that tire when pulling my 30 ft. RV with the added weight putting more pressure on that sidewall.

Last edited by 04HemiGreg; 03-08-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: I got new tires..