3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rant followed by request for help and possible sale.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 PM
ducatied
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rant followed by request for help and possible sale.

Hey gang,

I'll thank you in advance for any help provided. I've been lurking around the site for a while and soaking up as much as I can. I try to become semi-knowledgeable before posting/asking questions. At this point, I'm pretty tired of my 06 Ram Quad for many different reasons. The latest problem has several facets. I'll try to keep it simple.

First: Tried to do HID upgrade as I have on other vehicles from same supplier. NOW, I know all about canbus etc. My foglights (HID) work great and have been my headlights lately. My original kit came with a relay. I also ordered another (different) relay that had another layout. No dice. I've read all of the posts about adding resistors etc. I feel like the relay should work. I'm not savvy enough to start doing more than that without someone looking over my shoulder. I went back to square one and installed the halogen bulbs so I could sit down and figure this out.

Second: Now I've got no lows; only high beam (both sides). I've read up on the PDC problem and that seems likely. The whole thing got started when I had a burned driver's side bulb. Replaced it. Then it would work intermittently. Then the second bulb on the same side (low beam) went. I thought it was a bad connection and bad luck, but decided on HID's because I've had them on my bike for a few years.

I think I might have to suck it up, buy the PDC and go from there. I also think I will scrap the HID headlights. If anyone would like a set of H13 bulbs with 55W ballasts and 2 relay harnesses I will sell them all at cost, plus shipping. I'm just disappointed. They will work, but I don't have the time or resources to monkey with them. All parts are functioning. They do the typical good operation until you start the truck. Then I get four flashes and then HB only.

Finally, I will probably do what I should have done from the beginning. Add auxiliary lighting on another switch and leave the rest stock. But I can't be satisfied making it easy. I read the write-up on the Hella 500ff. WHAT IF . . . I bought that kit, and then did an HID conversion on it. Thoughts?

I know this is a lot. But I'm fried and frustrated . . . and it's really dark at 4am. I gotta do something for my drive in. Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran

So your considering ditching your Truck b/c your HID's arnt working?
HID's are what you pay for. On our trucks with such a complicated and touchy electrical system you may want to contact a more top of the line manufactures. IE phillips ect..
Now the other point of concern is if your currently having trouble with HID's why add more? I would take the time to research a solid reputable company.. not hidextra or ebay or anything like that. Perhaps look into retrofitting somthing from a lexus or a benz. You never see those going bad simply b/c the quality is so much greater.
idk
just my 02.
good luck!

Old 03-09-2010, 02:19 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest restoring everything back to original. This will give you a baseline to work from if you want to install another lighting kit and you will learn how the system works. The easy way to add light is to hot wire a set of auxilary lights with a toggle switch and relay. That way you stay away from the PDC (IPM). Good luck

Old 03-09-2010, 02:29 AM
abarmby
Champion

I can help you prove 100% it's your PDC causing side light problems.....but not your lows.
I've never heard of the PDC causing a "low main light" problem.
Not to say it can't.....I've not researched into that.
The side light and rear tail lights not working are the usual PDC culprits.
If those are the lights not working on your truck, then jumper pins 30 to pin 87 on the park lamp relay (if memory serves me right) with the relay still plugged in and if the rear/front park lights come on, your PDC is stuffed and you need a new one.
As for your HID's problems, this is a well known and documented problem. A reputable complete kit supplied to you, will have NO issues whatsoever. I have been running a full set of 6000K Bi-Xenon hi/lo's with fogs, for over a year now. Instalation was simplicity itself. Totally plug and play and they have been 100% fault free since the instalation.
I agree with Thatonekidw/theHEMI. These kits live and die on the quality of the parts they use. Not the instalation imho.
So, get a good kit, plug and play and away you go. I did and they do work.
Don't diss the truck for some other problem brought to it.
I hope this is helpfull and if you need any futher advice to help you on your potential PDC diagnosis, post up.
Al.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by abarmby; 03-09-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 AM
rickof08
Veteran

I had problems with 55w hids.....went to 35w and the problem stopped.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:20 AM
jk360
Veteran

[QUOTE=abarmby;2039335] A reputable complete kit supplied to you, will have NO issues whatsoever. I have been running a full set of 6000K Bi-Xenon hi/lo's with fogs, for over a year now. Instalation was simplicity itself. Totally plug and play and they have been 100% fault free since the instalation.QUOTE]

what company did you go through? i want the bi/xenon kit for my 03 ram but hidextra said it wouldnt work.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 AM
abarmby
Champion

[QUOTE=jk360;2039438]
Originally Posted by abarmby
A reputable complete kit supplied to you, will have NO issues whatsoever. I have been running a full set of 6000K Bi-Xenon hi/lo's with fogs, for over a year now. Instalation was simplicity itself. Totally plug and play and they have been 100% fault free since the instalation.QUOTE]

what company did you go through? i want the bi/xenon kit for my 03 ram but hidextra said it wouldnt work.
Hi.
In reply to your question, I bought mine through an old sponser I beleive on here Twiggy of HID Solutions.
Unfortunately, he's stopped shipping these kits now as he's changed job careers and closed his business.
There are kits I believe out there that are just as good.
Someone will post up.
Sorry I can't help you futher.
Al.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:34 PM
ducatied

Rick, JK or anyone else, do you have any brand recommendations? I know Twiggy is gone, which is who a lot of people reference.

And I wouldn't ditch the truck just for that. All things considered, I enjoy my truck and it's nice to walk out to it. But I just sank my entire tax return into the front end, the front seat has that tear on the side (and I'm not a heavy guy) . . . just a bunch of little things that can aggravate a guy. I feel like I've had more problems than I have with other vehicles. Probably worst of all was the purchasing experience. I feel like I worked too hard to purchase a truck that is less than satisfying. Not bashing Dodge. Hell, one of the best vehicles I owned was a P.O.S '84 Dodge Ram 2500 van I bought second hand from the power company. It looked like a rapist's van, but that straight-6 was bulletproof and the whole thing was so simple.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM
ducatied

Also, I suppose I'm frustrated at my lack of electrical understanding and ability. I was hanging out with our shop maintenance guy to pick a few things up. I can't really get my truck in the garage, so I've been working in the cold/wet with lousy light.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 PM
toxdoc
Veteran
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
I would suggest restoring everything back to original. This will give you a baseline to work from if you want to install another lighting kit and you will learn how the system works. The easy way to add light is to hot wire a set of auxilary lights with a toggle switch and relay. That way you stay away from the PDC (IPM). Good luck
__________________________________________________ __________________________
I would do as suggested above in restoring back to original with maybe an upgraded bulb if you choose; then spend your money installing a pair of Hella Rallye 4000 HID's behind the grille. This will give you more light than four headlight kits stacked on top of each other with no headaches.
toxdoc

Quick Reply: Rant followed by request for help and possible sale.