3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 Wheel Drive Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 PM
mikbimdre
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Wheel Drive Help

Somebody help please!! With all the snow we've had here on the east coast I've had my truck in 4WD a lot and I've noticed some issues. Why does my truck start to buckle and almost seem like it wants to stall when I go to turn a corner in 4WD. When I don't have it in 4 wheel drive it is completely fine, but once I put it in 4WD it is fine going straight but if I have to turn into a driveway or at an intersection it starts to almost seem like it struggles to give enough power to make the turn. Could it be the Power steering, drive train, anything. Anyone have suggestions, it kind of sucks cause I can't romp around as much as I should be able to. Somebody help please!!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its the 4wd binding, because the wheels are turning at the same speed in 4 wheel lock and when you turn, the wheels on the inside want to spin at the same speed as the ones on the outside ie. around a corner (this is bad you could snap an axle or grenade you diff) unless there is enough snow or dirt to let the wheels slip/spin a bit then your ok. You don't need to use 4wd unless they are unplowed roads or your going off road. also you CAN NOT steer the same in 2wd and 4wd, you need to take wider turns in 4wd.
hope this helps!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:36 PM
sbsga
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

marx is 100% correct, never turn the wheel all the way over in 4hi or low. our 4wd system is made to be strong and reliable, however they are going to have serious problems if they used incorrectly, also dont ever lock in on pavement, the only vehicle you can romp around in with all wheels and two running differentials is an all wheel drive. our 4wd is designed to get you out of sticky situations or add more pulling torque and grip, i would sugguest only using it during those situations, if you cant get grip in snow maybe you should try another tire

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel Drive Help