3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cant go into Reverse!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant go into Reverse!!

So I brought my 07 hemi with 22xxx and now has 30xxx and ever since I have had it, i go to put it in reverse and it just revs. Some times It just revs for 4 to 5 secs then i let go off the gas then goes into reverse, and sometimes i have to put it back into park, then into reverse again to make it go back. Why lol. I does this about 1 to 2 times per week. Ever since i have gotten it back in last summer. Any ideas befoe it goes into the dealer.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Albertaramfan
Captain

I'd start with the simple steps such as a fluid check and check your linkage.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fluid quality how new is it...does it smell bad? is it brownish or nice and pink....mine has done it maybe a few times in a yr and few months i have owned mine but the times it has happened i may have even put it tween r and n....i dunno im getting mine serviced soon....so hopefully it goes well....

Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its just a quart low on fluid it will do funny things... fluid level can be trickey to check so make sure you're doing it right!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:57 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

I'll have something similar happen to me every now n then Aiden. I throw it in R, then it revs, no go. The gear selector doesn't have the R "highlighted", so I have to bump/move the shifter a little, then the R highlights, and kicks into gear. I don't know why, kinda frustrating, but I don't think its to do with fluid.

If yours is similar to this, it may just be 'sloppy shifting', so to speak. If not, it might well be low fluid, bad fluid, etc. Although 30k is low mileage, thats when Chrysler calls for a fluid change, so might be worth it either way.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:57 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Checking our tranny fluid = Truck running, in gear, ebrak on

Old 03-09-2010, 08:25 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain

Thanks for the infor. Im kind of dumb and dont know how to check the fuild for the engine stuff only the oil change i can do lol. I'll ask my friends if they can help me out, they have more knongle then me. If not, I'll go to the dealer. Thanks

Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the proper way to check the tranny fluid is to bring the truck to normal operating temperature, park it on level ground, the put e-brake on, put the truck in nuetral, then check the fluid. the fluid should be at the "full hot" marks, not in between the hot and cold marks. also when looking at the fluid, make sure its bright red, and doesnt smell burnt. burnt tranny fluid smells really bad, you wont have any doubts that its burnt.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain

Well Thank you oldirtyjohn. I will do that tommorrow and we will see. Thanks

Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

I thought it had to be in gear, on all rwd chrysler vehicles....

Just for a conversation piece, what's the difference between P and N? Not saying you're wrong/Im right Dirty, by any means, lol. Id def trust your word over my own, but I just thought that's what I had heard... Something to do with the TC or something or another.

Quick Reply: Cant go into Reverse!!