3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Programmer: Which one is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:46 PM
councilman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Programmer: Which one is the best?

I have a 06 RAM 1500, HEMI. I got a P3497 code, which relates to the MDS system. I suspect that one, or all of the celinoids are bad.

What programmer works best to deactivate the MDS and improves performace at the same time? I have only made one other mod to the truck and that was when I changed over to dual exhaust. I do tow things with the truck (boat, trailer) during the summer months and would like to increase performance overall year round. I have looked at diablo tuner, superchip, bully dog power pup, and a hypertech max power programmer.

Also, I run 87 octane in the truck. Should I be running a higher octane and will the 87 octane damage the engine in the long run?

Last edited by councilman; 03-09-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

The Superchips Flashpaq 3865 will disable MDS. Doesn't sound like you're going to be doing a ton of heavy performance mods, so Superchips will work will for you.

Better performance. Firmer transmission shifts. MDS Disable function. Rev/Speed limiter option. WOT 1-2, 2-3 shift adjustments, tire size option, advance DAQ available as well ( you can monitor a who bunch of PIDS with DAQ).

Sil

Old 03-09-2010, 10:22 PM
councilman

I am quite the newb when it comes to mods. What does "DAQ", "WOT" and "PIDS" stand for?

Old 03-09-2010, 10:29 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by councilman
I am quite the newb when it comes to mods. What does "DAQ", "WOT" and "PIDS" stand for?
DAQ = data acquisition (can monitor stuff like knock retard, etc.)
PIDS = see data acquisition (knock retard is a PID you can monitor)
WOT = Wide Open Throttle (you can adjust your WOT 1-2, 2-3 shifts with the tuner)

You also have a time and distance function. That can be used to record 1/4 mile times.

Sil

Quick Reply: Programmer: Which one is the best?