3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

General Grabber HTS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Grabber HTS?

So I just turned over 47,000 miles on the original Goodyear Wrangler HP's on my tuck and they are just about gone. (I plan on giving them a good sending this weekend. haha.) They are downright dangerous on wet roads now so I've started shopping for some new ones. There are only three types of tires available for my truck in my area. The Goodyear Wrangler HP's, Sokotomo HP's, and General Grabber HTS's. As far as my research goes, I'm leaning towards the Generals. I drive about 90% on the highway and the rest is gravel, dirt, and mud. Anytime it comes a good rain my half mile dirt driveway turns into a muddy canal thats gets water up to the doors at times. Does anybody have any advice or opinions on the General Grabber HTS's? Thanks.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure where your looking for tires, but stay away for Sumicrappos.(summitomos)
General Grabber HTS? General makes the exact tire as BFG A/T, those are the only Generals I would get.
I have Cooper Zeon LTZ's 275/60/20 and cost me $640 shipped to my door from Discount tire. I'd also look into TreadDepot as they have the cheapest price on those right now. I paid a local shop $60 to mount/balance all 4 and I saved tax by purchasing online.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:44 PM
meen green machine
Professional

look into nittos i got 265's but for a 17 inch rim for 600 with 40,000 mile warranty at my local NTB my friend had general grabbers and the tread wore fairly fast he now has nitto tera grapplers and likes them much more he got his 285 for a 16 inch for 650 at sears

Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

I've heard the Summitomos aren't too good also. A buddy of mine just got them for his truck and I don't care for them. As far as ordering tires or different brands I'm kinda stuck choosing out of these three brands. That's all that's kept in stock at my local shops. Other tire options are 50+ miles away and If something happens to a tire I'd like to just get it taken care of in town and not have to order a new tire and wait. Plus one local shop has a good deal on road hazard with free rotations and balancing.

Here's a link to pictures and info on the Generals:
http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T27/Grabber-HTS

Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

That's a good replacement. It's more of a highway tire just like the original and geared more towards a car tire than a truck tire really. HERE Good for plush comfy ride, but your more prone to flats because they are a thin tire. Stock tires were very thin and soft compared to the coopers i put on there. Coopers had like 5x's as much rubber to them, but they do ride a tiny bit stiffer.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 PM
MOPAR78
Veteran

Mine did not last long but man they hook up in the rain!!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

Good that's what I wanted to hear MOPAR78. I don't know what kind of experiences other people have had with the original Goodyear Wrangler HP's, but mine were horrible in the rain. It could rain just enough to get the highway wet and I'd be sliding all over the place. How many miles did you get out of your Generals?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 AM
MOPAR78
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dodgeboy328
Good that's what I wanted to hear MOPAR78. I don't know what kind of experiences other people have had with the original Goodyear Wrangler HP's, but mine were horrible in the rain. It could rain just enough to get the highway wet and I'd be sliding all over the place. How many miles did you get out of your Generals?
I did not like the Goodyear’s either in the rain, no control. I'm hard on the Truck/tires so I got less than 30K out of them. But man do they grab. I never pushed them to the breaking point in the rain (to dangerous) but red light launches were awesome. They would be spinning and I was out in front. Oh and by the way, I do let off at the posted speed limit.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

Thanks for all the replies. I'll post an update when I get the new tires some time next week.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:41 PM
jdc62

I replaced the Goodyear Wranglers with a set of General Grabber HTSs. The Wranglers were great on dry pavement but absolutely terrible when it rained. I got rid of them before the snow started to fall. So far I’ve been really impressed with the Generals. Excellent on wet roads and nearly as good when it snowed. I was able to drive through 6 inches of snow in two wheel drive. I only needed to turn on 4WD for the hills. I have read about some problems with tread life. So far I’m down 1/32 after 4200 miles. At this pace I should get around 40K miles but I’ll have to see if the wear rate is close to linear and the tires continue to perform as they wear.

Quick Reply: General Grabber HTS?