3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shorty wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:21 PM
Markmm0000
|
Professional
Default shorty wires

can someone post up a pick of how the shorty wires "cleaned" up the top of the motor. I just did plugs but i want to know what those are gonna look like if i should pick up a set.

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:36 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

No more spaghetti across the top

Old 03-11-2010 | 10:47 PM
Superchargedram
Rookie

Just remember Shorty wires are good unless you plan to use BOOST or N20. I personally did the 6.1 dual coil conversion on my truck to help put more fire to my ignition.

Old 03-11-2010 | 11:40 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Originally Posted by Superchargedram
Just remember Shorty wires are good unless you plan to use BOOST or N20. I personally did the 6.1 dual coil conversion on my truck to help put more fire to my ignition.
That's my next step, just a bit pricey to do at the moment.

Old 03-11-2010 | 11:48 PM
Superchargedram
Rookie

Best thing to do is keep a eye on ebay it usually has some pretty good deals on the coils, you can use the connectors from a 4.7 engine harness OR pay 17 bucks a connector from Henson motorsports hes the cheapest on the connectors, then your valve covers new from him run about 135 shipped, a little solder and your up and running

Old 03-12-2010 | 12:10 AM
herring_jerritt
Veteran

how do these wires work couse wouldnt doint the wires like that make the motor fire at the wrong time? on my motor the wires run over to the opposite side not to the plug right next to it like in this pic http://sporttruckworld.tenmagazines....es/32666_t.jpg

Old 03-12-2010 | 01:45 AM
abarmby
Champion

I believe shorties only fire the secondary plug at the same time they get an ignition pulse to the primary plug. That way, everything keeps timmed up.
Both plugs fire simultaneously on the main power stroke and the secondry plug emissions stroke, is just missed that's all. That's why the wire going over the heads to the other side, is missed out and the a short wire is then connected to the secondry plug in the same cylinder as the.
I hope all that makes sense lol???

Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 03-12-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-12-2010 | 06:54 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

EVERY DYNO I've seen run with shorties has come out worse than with standard wires!!! Not big time worse, but worse nonetheless, it's the burn timing of the secondary plug.

Standard length but thicker than stock is the way to go...

Old 03-12-2010 | 10:45 AM
Superchargedram
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
EVERY DYNO I've seen run with shorties has come out worse than with standard wires!!! Not big time worse, but worse nonetheless, it's the burn timing of the secondary plug.

Standard length but thicker than stock is the way to go...
100% true the 03-05 ram ignition system uses the "wasted spark" ignition as some like to call it, your coil fires your initial spark for your combustion, while it fires it shoots another spark to another cylinder which burns off "excess" waste. The reason the shortys do not work on boost or N20 is the spark isnt strog enough due to the small coil, It does clean the engine bay up nicly and Im all about a clean engine bay but you should have heard the backfiring it made with my truck they were removed ASAP.

Old 03-12-2010 | 10:51 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Originally Posted by Superchargedram
100% true the 03-05 ram ignition system uses the "wasted spark" ignition as some like to call it, your coil fires your initial spark for your combustion, while it fires it shoots another spark to another cylinder which burns off "excess" waste. The reason the shortys do not work on boost or N20 is the spark isnt strog enough due to the small coil, It does clean the engine bay up nicly and Im all about a clean engine bay but you should have heard the backfiring it made with my truck they were removed ASAP.
Wow, I've never heard of them causing backfiring. When I put them on, the engine seemed to run smoother overall, no real (seat-o-pants mater) power gain.

Quick Reply: shorty wires