3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Diff question... i know i know...lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:45 PM
04LS6
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Diff question... i know i know...lol

Hey guys,

I'm looking into changing the rear diff fluid this weekend. The only issue that I am running into is, i bought the truck used and there is no manual with it, so I am unsure of what type of diff that I have. I have an 04 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4. I also looked for a sticker in the glove box, but there isn't one there. One thing that I do know, is during winter when it is really icy, only the right rear tire seems to spin. Which is a pain in the butt to get moving, especially on a hill and I have to put it in 4x4. Can anybody help me out? I have the fluid and RTV, so I am just wondering if I need additive or not, and to see if there is anything that I can do to the rear end to help me out during winter months. I do have aggressive winter tires, so that shouldn't be the issue especially when the left tire isn't helping...lol

Old 03-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

If only one spins no matter how much gas you give it on slick pavement you have an open or a bad lsd. If the LSD is bad you won't need additive ne way cuz it's f**ked.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Sounds like you have the good ol "one tire fire" my friend. Only fix for that is an expensive one, get a good LSD like Detroit tru-trac, etc... As for the fluid, Id use the search function, as Ive read on here before, but my memory aint for ****, haha. Maybe others will chime in, but search around and see if you can find something in the meantime

Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're unsure, add the additive anyway... it wont hurt an open diff. or if you havent already bought fluid, just get royal purple, it already has the additive.
when you open it up you should be able to see the LSD in there...
i thought i had some pics of mine but i cant find 'em

Old 03-13-2010, 11:03 AM
04LS6
Rookie

Cool thanks guys.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
if you're unsure, add the additive anyway... it wont hurt an open diff. or if you havent already bought fluid, just get royal purple, it already has the additive.
when you open it up you should be able to see the LSD in there...
i thought i had some pics of mine but i cant find 'em

The additive is actually bad for the seals as it dries them out quicker, but that issue is not something you should be worried about as it's used in lots of diffs and is such a minor problem.
Most Synthetic diff fluids have the additive in them such as Mobil LT 75w-140 so purchasing more is not needed. That is the weight reccomended also as i haven't seen that mentioned.

As far as seeing the LSD, not gonna happen. Unless you really know what you are looking for it will appear as an open diff. i would take it that you have an open diff. So, if you do not add additive(I wouldn't) and you get chatter, then that means you need to add additive and do have LSD.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If it's a clutch type differential, the clutch packs are going to be obscured by the ring gear, so like 'dog says, if you really don't know what you are looking for, it's not easy to tell if you have a LSD even though you popped the pumpkin...

Old 03-13-2010, 11:54 AM
03MopaRamman
Captain

Is there not a mini build sheet sticker on the inside of the glove box that indicates diff type and gear ratio? I think thats where I found mine but not sure, I removed it and plasticoted it.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:14 PM
jdc62

Not sure if I agree with some of the comments here. I changed the fluid in mine last weekend. My truck has an LSD and I was able to see the clutch plate when I opened it up. Assuming you have the original 9.25 Corporate diff, there is a set behind each of the horizontal spider gears (the ones that are attached to the half axles). If you shine a light behind the gears, you should be able to see be able to see them. If there’s nothing between the gears and the carrier, then you have an open differential.
As far as having one tire spin on ice, it is possible for an LSD to allow one wheel to spin if one tire is on an extremely slick surface (like ice) and the other tire has good traction. There needs to be some level of resistance for torque to be transferred to the other wheel. If you look in the owner’s manual it tells you it’s possible for this to happen with the anti spin diff. If it happens all of the time, I’d agree that it’s likely you have an open diff. It’s never happened to me.
As for the job, it’s an easy one. Most of your time will be spent waiting for the RTV to dry before you add the fluid.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:11 PM
04LS6
Rookie

Can I upgrade the diff if it is an open?? I'd really like to take care of it, since I do haul my sled in the box sometimes, plus like I said it's a pain in the **** sometimes...lol

Quick Reply: Rear Diff question... i know i know...lol