3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.7L Hemi-Broken Valve Spring - Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:05 PM
FireFighter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One...last thing...I hope. I was looking at the seal they sold me vs the pic's in the haynes. Haynes shows an intake and exhaust seal, which their pic's look alot different than what I have. Below is what they sold me...this cool for the intake seal?

Name:  101_9961.jpg
Views: 8914
Size:  109.5 KB

Old 03-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Superchargedram
Rookie

Yes that is correct, maybe since you have a older 03 they made some changes and revised things I have 3 or 4 sets of heads laying around and they all have those seals, and WOW that is one FILTY engine valve train, Now Im a beleiver in the mobil1 synthetic with cleaning detergants this was on a 300C it was a 2006 with 93000 miles It has mobil1 ran through it since 500 miles,
Caminstall011.jpg?t=1268674911

Last edited by Superchargedram; 03-15-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:15 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

Yeah, no doubt. I'd like to you know what to the original owner for mistreating a motor like that. All I run through the LS1 is Mobile1 syn. as well. Any idea why it's that color in there?

Anyway, I connect compressed air to the cylinder and that air is escaping thru the throttle body which makes the compressor run continous. It's showing that there is only a steady 20-25psi, will this be enough to hold the valve in place? I have the piston TDC. Any risk of that spring falling apart when I remove the rocker? If so, then I need to have the air running during the whole process. Please let me know as I have stopped until I know for sure.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:42 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by FireFighter
Yeah, no doubt. I'd like to you know what to the original owner for mistreating a motor like that. All I run through the LS1 is Mobile1 syn. as well. Any idea why it's that color in there?

Anyway, I connect compressed air to the cylinder and that air is escaping thru the throttle body which makes the compressor run continous. It's showing that there is only a steady 20-25psi, will this be enough to hold the valve in place? I have the piston TDC. Any risk of that spring falling apart when I remove the rocker? If so, then I need to have the air running during the whole process. Please let me know as I have stopped until I know for sure.

Thanks guys!
That doesn't sound right?
Sounds as though the inlet valve is still open on the cylinder your applying the air to, to bleed back through to the TB the way your describing.
I wonder if the valves bent, not allowing the valve to come all the way up to seal as it should?
The cylinder should hold air if the valves are on there seats.
If air doesn't work, try the old "nylon cord" trick mentioned earlier in this thread.
That will get you to the point of removing the valve to check it's integrity.
Al.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:06 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, difinitely sounds like air is leaking past the intake valve into the intake. Recheck TDC for that cylinder.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:45 AM
abarmby
Champion

I think when I posted a while back about what psi should I use when doing a valve job, I was quoted 80psi.
Someone will post up. I think Weed has done it the air way when he installed his cam. He might post up the pressure he used.
As for the leak as RedTruck-VA said, are you sure your at TDC for that piston?
If you are, then the valve isn't seating and it could be bent if the spring is snapped.
If so, you will need new guides for that cylinder along with a valve and a valve job to get the new one seated.
Check the top of the piston in that cylinder with a boroscope, to make sure the top of the piston isn't damaged if you discover that the valves bent.
I know that most people would pull the head at that stage, if they found a bent valve.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 03-16-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:55 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Please keep us updated on this as I am very interested. Also, I thought the exhaust springs were the problem, not the intakes. Please clarify... Thanks.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:59 AM
abarmby
Champion

Yes, I believe it is usually the exhaust side of things that go awry RedTruck-VA. Something about the lift being higher on the exhaust side causing spring failures? I believe you replace all 16 valve springs though if your going to do the 6.1 spring change.
Al.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:17 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Agreed, all 16 exhaust valve springs upgraded to the 6.1 springs is the way to go. But again he mentioned using an intake oil seal, so I don't know what's broken on his engine. Obviously exhaust valves run hotter than the intakes and this additional heat gets transfered to the spring to a certain extent and if the spring isn't top quality it can be prone to breakage.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

1) Not related to problem but if you look at the pic's there is an almost like bronze/sunset color to the interior. I bought the truck used with 34K miles on it. Under both covers, there is gunk, sludge and I pulled out a couple 2" in diameter "wafers" of baked crap!! Almost looks like this motor got real hot one time before along with NO oil changes before I got it. Don't see how someone could treat their ride like this! What do you all think? I'm afraid that the initial abuse to this machine may cause a shortened life. Although, she's got 169K now and never a problem accept the two springs and alt.

Notice the pic of the lower spring, this is the one that got changed 4 years/60K miles ago, looks almost new...the way it should with proper oil changes.
Certain oils and additives will stain the inside of the engine. RP we all know is one of them. I use it and I can tell you from pulling my engine apart that is does change the color of the engine internals.

2) Before I attempt to remove the rocker arm, should I get compressed air into the cylinder 1st should the spring fall apart? Don't wanna drop the valve. When I shoot the air, does it matter which plug hole I use? Any particular PSI I should use? My compressor works at 90PSI.
When I did mine I rotated to that cylinders TDC and put my air hose in the cyl to fill with air. My take has about 200psi but doesnt cut on until 75psi and i had no issues holding the valve in place. I used my socket on the crank snout with a 1/2" breaker bar and a piece or pipe laid against the frame. I suggest you stand on that pipe against the frame because when you connect the air line to the cyl it WILL push the piston down and try to rotate the engine. This in turn will crack open a valve so air will pass by and you could drop a valve is the leak is bad enough. I never had any issues but the possibility is there. So it is normal to hear the air passing past the valve a small bit.

Once that is done I put my spring compressor on, squeeze the spring, remove the keepers and retainer, release the valve, swap the valve, compress the valve, put back on the retainer and keepers and let the spring up slowly.

3) When I go to get the #5 cylinder TDC, can this be done from below the truck? It looks like the fan, etc will be in the way. I don't have a large breaker bar, maybe a 2 footer...this is not large enough is it? Any simple way of doing this? Never done it before. Also, when it's TDC, the spring should be fully extended/rocker arm raised, correct?
I did all of mine above the engine. The fan and shroud are easy to remove. A 2' breaker bar is fine but again, a piece of pipe to add to it helps. Before you can pull the springs you will need to pull the entire rocker arm shaft so when you do that all of those springs will be fully extended

4) After the spring is removed, then I need to put a zip tie, etc on valve stem to keep it up, release the air and then move the valve up/down to make sure it's not bent correct?
Putting a zip tie on the end to act as a retainer is a good idea. And yes you could then release the air and rotate the valve by hand to check it as best you can.

5) Add air again, change spring, zip her up, start motor, smile, jump for joy that I've just completed a major task in my eyes?
exactly and hopefully thats all there will need to be done

Thanks weedahoe, that's awesome. I will let you know. Going to check on prices, etc. Money is tight right now so I may take you up on that. I see you're in GA also.
No prob and again, just LMK if you need anything.

Quick Reply: 5.7L Hemi-Broken Valve Spring - Help