3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Differential issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010 | 09:58 PM
BeEr-RuN
|
Default Rear Differential issues

Having a few problems with the differential.
- First there seems to be a whine in differential. Whine doesnt change seem to change at any certian driving condition. At first i was hoping that it was a wheel bearing issue, but the more i have researched the more it points to the diff. Now it is an open differential, checked the build tag (axle- rear- corporate 9), and truck is the one wheel peeler.
- Second is the I noticed that the pinion seal was leaking.

I am going to change the seal and the fluid as soon as weather permits.

With the whine i was wondering if that would be the the pinion bearing, since i dont have the LSD. If that is what it is, should i just take it to a gear shop to tear down. Or is it possible to complete in the driveway. Is there special tools for setting the backlash on ring in pinion. will i need a "master install kit" or can i just get away with replacing the pinion bearing.

well thanx in advance for the advice.

Old 03-14-2010 | 10:15 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

I haven't messed with mine. So take this for what it's worth. If your seal is leaking, that indicates there is pinion movement. Which means bearing. I'd first check the pinion nut for proper torque. If you really want, you can change the crush collar and put a new seal in it and see if that cures the wine. Or go ahead and pull everything apart and change the bearing. I'd check the nut first.

Quick Reply: Rear Differential issues