3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

flooding problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:34 PM
jhall347
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flooding problem

this is my first dodge i've owed and i hate to say it but it will probably be my last. for the last 3 weeks i've had 3 guys with 3 different Solos? snap-on snanners, come over and try to get my truck to start. (02 3.7L SOHC) and all 3 guys are stumped. heres my problem, the truck floods with fuel so bad the plugs foul out, and gas drips out of the exhaust manifolds. i try new plugs, new cam sensor, new tps, good fuel pressure, good spark, good compretion in cylinders, timing is on. all my friends have rams and they love them. i loved my wife until she started giving me alot of problems, which goes the same with my ram. please help with an advise

Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 PM
JeReMy18
Rookie

yes that sucks but i dont think it should be your last ram. all trucks are gonna have trouble and just to say it my ram hasnt given me any problem and ive had it for 3yrs now. but i dont know how to fix that

Old 03-15-2010, 12:23 AM
wyseguy77
Captain

All I can say is good luck! I love my Ram and after this one is gone I'll probably have a shiney new one. You might want to try to post on regular 3rd Gen forum to see if anyone there can help. Once again good luck!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:05 AM
jhall347

i love the way these trucks look inside and out, it just makes me upset when i have to pay someone to diagnois the promblem and they cant figure it out. i just need to find a totaled out cummins and swap a diesel in her. my truck seems to have decent spark but i did notice that the springs (inside the coils) are bent up. i wanna try and replace the springs if i can? i wouldnt mind replacing the coils, but ive put so much money into parts that dont fix it. i'll keep you guys informed when we figure it out, im not gonna quite till i do.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:01 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any codes or MIL/CEL, could it be a bad oxygen sensor causing a false reading and then the ecm dumps too much fuel in?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 PM
jhall347

i do have 5 codes P0108- MAP sensor voltage too high
P0325- knock sensor(#1) is wrong
P0340- no camshaft signal being recieved by the
computer
P1391- ???
P1491- radiator fan control circuit problem

i just replaced the ignition coils and plugs, and when i tryed to start it i had a fire coming out of both exhaust manifolds. that sucked cause my garden hose aint hooked up yet lol. thanks guys again for your help

Old 03-16-2010, 01:21 AM
HouseApe
Professional

High MAP voltage means the computer thinks the engine is under full load. Disconnect the MAP sensor and see if it will run without flooding.

Or you could have a short to ground in the injector harness or even in the ecm causing the injectors to be open all the time. Get your Buddy's to scope the injectors. What is the duty cycle they see ? Also Map voltage

Old 03-16-2010, 11:16 PM
jhall347

i did try and start the truck with the map sensor unplugged and it didnt seem to help. im alittle nervous trying to start it, cause it catches fire (out the exh. man.) i wasnt able to talk to my buddy today to find out about the injectors, but i do remember him saying that they were ok. thanks again for the info.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:02 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea that thing w/ it catching fire would scare me, hopefully you can get it figured out. Keep us updated.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 AM
HouseApe
Professional

Originally Posted by jhall347
i did try and start the truck with the map sensor unplugged and it didnt seem to help. im alittle nervous trying to start it, cause it catches fire (out the exh. man.) i wasnt able to talk to my buddy today to find out about the injectors, but i do remember him saying that they were ok. thanks again for the info.
Well the injectors are either being commanded open (by the ecm could be faulty) or are being held open (short to ground, damaged and leaking) The Duty Cycle would tell you where to look (a short would be 100% duty)

To see if they are leaking you could unplug the injectors (I've never seen all injectors leak at the same time) and try and start it.

But I think your going to have a wiring short or a bad ECM. Good luck.

Quick Reply: flooding problem