3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need advice. Which Programmer the SC Cortex or Diablo.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
sr77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice. Which Programmer the SC Cortex or Diablo.

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a tuner that I can save a few different tunes in. Fuel economy as well as performance when needed, ability to change shift points etc. I will also be purchasing a CAI as my truck had a magnaflow on it when I picked it up. Which CAI seems to have the best gains when tuned correctly? Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Shane

Old 03-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Tuner: Superchips
Intake: BFI by Airflow innovation or Vararam

Old 03-15-2010, 04:27 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're not planning on any major mods (cam, etc.) go with Superchips. If you do plan on bigger mods down the road, go with DSP (supports custom tuning). What year is your truck? SC is about to release some really awesome trans adjustment upgrades for 04+.

For the intake, they're all basically the same. The higher cost CAI do not yeild better gains than the ebay kits. Get yourself a good filter off of ebay and make your own using PVC (theres a hundred different how-to's in the FAQ section) and use the money you saved on other mods

Old 03-15-2010, 04:28 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

just re-read your post. If you want a tuner you can save multiple tunes in, your only choice is DSP. Not sure why you'd want to custom tune if its not required though...

Old 03-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by sr77
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a tuner that I can save a few different tunes in. Fuel economy as well as performance when needed, ability to change shift points etc. I will also be purchasing a CAI as my truck had a magnaflow on it when I picked it up. Which CAI seems to have the best gains when tuned correctly? Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Shane
Tell us more about your truck like the year, engine and what your future plans are for mods. It is tough to say what tuner is best for you without that info.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:47 PM
sr77

I have a 2008 1500 QC with Hemi. Just got it a week ago! Already had magnaflow on it when I bought it. Looking to help it breath better hence cold air. Want to have a performance tune as well as the ability to have a roadtrip tune (no aggressive driving, just for milage). Probably will do headers/y pipe and possible cam a bit down the road.

shane

Old 03-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by sr77
I have a 2008 1500 QC with Hemi. Just got it a week ago! Already had magnaflow on it when I bought it. Looking to help it breath better hence cold air. Want to have a performance tune as well as the ability to have a roadtrip tune (no aggressive driving, just for milage). Probably will do headers/y pipe and possible cam a bit down the road.

shane
In that case I would say go for the diablo. It has trans control for your year and will give you the ability to custom tune your cam down the road when the time comes.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:02 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
In that case I would say go for the diablo. It has trans control for your year and will give you the ability to custom tune your cam down the road when the time comes.
+1. The trans control from DSP wont be quite as good as the new SC tuning, but it does have some control. If you're planning on a cam, DSP is the way to go. I just switched from SC to DSP due to a cam install, and can honestly say I feel a noticeable increase in performance from the DSP (compared to the SC)

Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 PM
sr77

How good is the shift tuning with the Diablo.

Shane

Quick Reply: Need advice. Which Programmer the SC Cortex or Diablo.