3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 to a 6.1 HEMI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:28 PM
thegrizzlydude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 to a 6.1 HEMI?

alright so i have been looking all over the internet and have yet to see anyone swap a 6.1 hemi into a ram 1500. I have an 05 ram 1500 with the 4.7 and 6spd manual trans, 4x4 reg. cab and shortbox. I have found a company called AEV conversions, who make a kit for the wrangler but nothing for the ram. They also use the Getrag 238 transmission that i have to mate up with the 6.1. So my questions are (for anyone who has ANY input) is it possibly to do this swap into my truck, and if so what will be needed besides motor mounts and ecu, would i have to redo a lot of my stock wiring, what else would be needed for this to be possible? Thanks very much to all who leave inputs, or advice

Old 03-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's possible, none of your electronics will work until you figure out how to rewire them, or simply replace them, and you'll probably have to fab new motor mounts. The 6.1 should fit with no trouble.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:29 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mechanics should be the easy part. The electronics will be the challenge. I would say get the whole wiring harness, sensors and modules including the Instrument control cluster out of a 2500 manual trans model and start there. I don't know if there is any aftermarket wiring harness that were designed for hot rod installs. If there is, that may provide a short cut. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Quick Reply: 4.7 to a 6.1 HEMI?