3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear axel seal leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Denniss66
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axel seal leak?

i got a rear axel seal leak on my truck and i was just wondering if i use the synthetic gear oil 75w 140 do i still need to get the limited slip additive from dodge or does it already have the additive in it. im thinking that you need the additive if you use non synthetic oil.

Also i was wondering if anyone knows how much the rear diff holds for oil i can't find anything in the owners manual that tells me thanks.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:56 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you plan on fixing the leak or was that something to start the conversation?...lol j/k
The synthetic fluids that have additive in them are Mobil 1, Royal Purple and i believe Amsoil. If you are unsure if they have the additive, then add some yourself. The rear diff takes 2.25qts, which equates to 2qts of fluid along with 4oz of additive.

I did a little write up in a post i made about how to change the rear seal yourself. I'll see if i can find it for ya. if your interested???

Old 03-18-2010, 08:46 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
The synthetic fluids that have additive in them are Mobil 1, Royal Purple and i believe Amsoil.
Amsoil doesn't have it, but like dog said check whatever you get to be sure.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:46 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

we use valvoline in my shop that has the limited slip additive. but we still add a tube of friction modifier. ive even seen some guy bring in penzoil with the additive in it.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

Do you plan on fixing the leak or was that something to start the conversation?...lol j/k
The synthetic fluids that have additive in them are Mobil 1, Royal Purple and i believe Amsoil. If you are unsure if they have the additive, then add some yourself. The rear diff takes 2.25qts, which equates to 2qts of fluid along with 4oz of additive.

I did a little write up in a post i made about how to change the rear seal yourself. I'll see if i can find it for ya. if your interested???
thats alright im just gonna wing im sure i can figure it out. theres not much the haynes manual wont show you.

thanks for the help everybody.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Dog, pls post the link to your write up, I'm interested.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure where it's at but....

unbolt your drivehaft and get it out. Mark the nut and the very end of the pinion shaft. Then you'll want to count the turns as you take it off, When you get to the very end and the nut is ready to come off keep an eye where the mark is when it does come off. You'll want to use that as a reference to start the nut and begin when the marking pasts the pinion mark. Hopefully you followed that?
Just marke a referece point in the nut and count the turns and you'll be good. You'll want to tighten that nut up to the exact number of turns and then go slightly past your mark, For isnatnce, if your marking was at 3 O'clock, you'll wanna go to 4 O'clock. 1/8th turn is max because you'll crush the collar in too much and stress the bearings.
Use the original nut and washer. If you change either one you will alter everything.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:01 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Thanks dog. I got it.

Quick Reply: Rear axel seal leak?