3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Bubbles in Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 AM
glenn.d.smith
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bubbles in Transmission Fluid

Hey guys,

I checked my ATF recently and there are bubbles on the dipstick. The fluid level looks ok so i don't think that it is overfilled. I had a transmission shop replace the base pan a while back and I assume they used the right fluid but you never know. Anyone else ever have this problem? If i wanted to do a complete flush myself would I need any special tools?

Thanks

Old 03-24-2010, 07:10 AM
glenn.d.smith
Professional

Anybody???

Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 AM
MOusafLRT03

i don't believe bubbbles are an issue, but i am not an expert and i'm sure there are more knowledable people on here, but for flushing the tranny? special tools? naw, just some knuckle busting (possibly). you can always do the flush/removal of trans fluid thru the cooler lines while the truck is running. i've only done it on vehicles (at work) that have dirty fluid that way i know when it's clean cause the color/cleanliness of the fluid come out of the cooler lines. BUTTTT, if i'm changing fluid on my personal vehicles, i change everything.... filter (and seal if applicable), fluid, pan gasket (if need be). but that is just me. some people are perfectly happy just flushing the stuff out instead of changing the filter and whatnot. Since you "should" have a new filter and fluid, there would be no point in doing all of that. but with an old filter, why try pushing new fluid thru a dirty filter?

just my $.02

personally, if i was you, i wouldn't worry about bubbles if the fluid is at the right level and just changed. but hey, mabe the tranny experts will chome in.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 PM
glenn.d.smith
Professional

THanks MO. YEah the fluid is nice and pink and has no burning smell on it so maybe I'm just being too careful. I can't find my bill from the garage so I'm not sure what they put in it. These guys are supposed to be transmission experts but my experience with them makes me think otherwise.

Cheers!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:53 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

normally, when you overfill anything, be it engine, transmission, or diff. it will cause the fluid to churn a lot, and cause aeration and bubbling. if serious enough, it could lower the viscosity of the fluid, and cause overheating and premature wear. how exactly are you checking your fluid? the correct way to check tranny fluid is: drive till vehicle is at normal operating temp (this could take 15 miles or so for a tranny to fully heat up), park on a level surface, apply parking brake, put trans into neutral, and check the fluid.

Quick Reply: Air Bubbles in Transmission Fluid