3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

6.1 cam in 5.7 hemi

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:00 PM
05hemitona
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.1 cam in 5.7 hemi

i have see where people are puting the 6.1 hemi cam in the 5.7 hemi.
i cannot find any numbers or anything to show the benifit of the cam in a 5.7 ... i am interested in any input i can get from you guys

i have a 05 hemi ram with cold air intake and stock borla just so you know where i am starting with this project

Old 03-23-2010, 05:13 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

They quote the 6.1 to be about 20-25 more hp than stock.

You can always go with a much better cam though.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to cam the truck there are many better choices than the 6.1. There is a cam for just about every need, just depends on what you plan on doing with your truck.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

+1. if you go through all the work of putting a cam in, you're gonna KICK yourself for not getting something more aggressive. there are plenty of much better cams that dont need custom tuning (meaning they'll run on a canned tune from superchips or DSP)

Old 03-23-2010, 08:01 PM
03MopaRamman
Captain

Yep, not enough runway for the 6.1 Cam, as it doesn't kick hard until about 4000 rpm. But for me cost, pig-headed and experimentation was the factor and since i'm 03 model not many choices. i do like the fact with the 6.1 cam i can drop her down to avoid 2nd prime and manualy shift up to 6000 / 6200 rpm safely (effectively shakes of those early morning speeding oil patch trucks that tailgate) so yep awesome on the HWY but still a TRUCK. I did loose some bottum end after install but got that back with headers. Yep, There are alot of opinions and choices out there. I have done alot of research on this and have decided that given my limited choices i have my next cam install choices down to 3 cams, Sidewinder, Moes Sniper, or Comp Cams 260, and from what I've heard from other Alberta Ram freaks is the 260 is proven to work well in the 03 model w/Superchips and I'm retty sure my 6.1 push rods are the same length as the recommended Comp ones that are cross-refered. And with that range of cam I can leave the tranny alone to shift at 5700/5800 and have plenty of delivery of power from 1000 RPM upwards. But before investing in a second cam I need to buy a better Torq converter and join the 456 crowd.

Sorry long post, eh. so Like AF Hemi said go aggresive right away and you won't be disapointed, may cost more but you should only have to do it once if you pick the right stick.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:38 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

holy crap man take a breath!

as for the 03's being limited, you're only partially correct. limited? yes. handicapped? noooo way. i'll report back soon, but i have one of the most aggressive cams on the market headed my way -- the krc 210. its not about the cam as much as the tuner that limits the 03. If you've got a good tuner, they dont need to adjust idle (which is the only real problem anyways).

so enough of the nonsense about 03's being retarded. they're not retarded, just special

Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 PM
03MopaRamman
Captain

AF, Didn't say retarded or handicapped, but Agree special.
So then does that mean there is a place that can custom tune an 03 after a heavy cam install? Like mail the PCM away, as I thought the Superchips 3714 was the great sky limit for tuners now replaced by the 3865 a bit better? and with that, superchips says the available programming doesn't support my mods.
So what are your thoughts on how to get the truck tuned to idle properly with the KRC 210 and not throw a ton of codes? (disconnect some vacuum near the brake booster as a contermeasure). Good luck as I am interested in how this works out for you.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:18 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

not gonna thread jack the OP. this doesnt pertain to him at all because he has the most tuneable year of all hemis -- 2005. He can literally do any cam out there and successfully tune it. I'll PM you

Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 PM
05hemitona

Damn glad I didn't get an 03 I'm "special" enough on my own haha
Thanks for the advise so far looks like I should possile pass over the 6.1 cam idea
I'm new to the hemi world ... Was always a ford man until I drove this truck and I was sold ... So far I just have the cold air intake and TB helix spacer ...
What would be a good programer I have read soooo many opinions it hard to tell which actually is best all around/for money ....

Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditch the spacer, and get either a superchips or diablosport.

Quick Reply: 6.1 cam in 5.7 hemi