3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

super annoying "lamp out" problem, and evap code

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM
mexico
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry super annoying "lamp out" problem, and evap code

Hey guys so Ive got an 03 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 (118,000miles) and its giving me a bunch of trouble right now. the most annoying problem right now is this Lamp out light that is coming on now and again. the problem showed up on Sunday after I had given it a Wot run (just for kicks) and I don't know if its related but as I let off the gas and began to brake the "lamp out" light came on and dinged. it than proceeded to ding and flash lamp out every time I pushed the brake. also when I flicked the left turn signal it was flashing very fast as if it was out. well I figured it was a bad bulb and when I locked the truck with the fob the left rear light didn't shine so I figured that was the one.

well when I got back in the truck an hour later the lamp out was no longer on and the turn signal appeared to work fine (it looked a little faint but that might of just been my eyes) well as I was driving the last couple days the "lamp out" seems to randomly appear and is really freaking annoying cuz it dings and dings and dings! sometimes its when I put the truck in reverse, sometimes its when I push the brakes, and sometimes im just drivin and it dings without even lighting up! I'm not really sure where to even start with this one, I figured I'd replace the left bulb even though I don't think its out since sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

also I have a Cel I believe it was p0456 and figured it was cuz I only clicked my gas cap twice instead of three times the last time I filled it. but When i had the code cleared, the machine actually said I had two of those po456 codes and sure enough 5 days later it's back on. honestly I'm so frustrated with the other problem that I don't even care about the cel but will it hurt my truck or its performance while the lights on or if I leave it too long?

thanks in advance fellas

Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

well with your lamp out light sometimes you get a bad bulb and everynow and again it will make a connection and work i have had this problem before and all i ever did was keep hitting the tail light to make it work till eventually i got so annoyed i just changed the bulbs also try cleaning the connecter where the light goes into when you take it off you see there is like electric grease or something the stop corrosion sometimes that gets in the way too.

as for the p0456 code i know nothing about it. i know with my 2003 truck i always get codes 2110 or something like that when its cold out but i just erase it with superchips programmer and it goes away.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:14 PM
03MopaRamman
Captain

Ah the dreaded 0456 my favorite. You should check all hoses in the system from back of throttle body drivers side all the way to the cannisters under drivers side mid-cab and add some clamps if ant hoses loose or cracked plastic elbows. I seem to have it fixed for now but been battling that one for 3 years. Good Luck, as for lamp out, yep check all connections and bulbs, I had to change my harness at the headlights since I tried a different light from OEM and it melted the harness after amonth, changed harness and returned to Oem bulbs and fine now. Big changes in weather seem to affect both problems IMO.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 PM
itjim

Had the same symptoms with the Lamp Out trouble.
Intermittently I would have the Lamp Out light display as I would apply the brakes, there didn't seem to be any specific triggers, it would be completely random and generally as the brakes would be applied or just after applying the brakes.
I found that my tail lamp housing had a crack in it and would build up with moisture, and this moisture corroded the contacts and components on the tail lamp circuit board.
Swapped the housing and the lamp assembly, never heard the annoying Lamp Out "bing".
Check the boards for continuity if you do not see any visible corrosion, and check for moisture in the lamp assemblies after a day with rain or washing the truck.
BTW the part for the circuit board assembly for Dorman Part is # 923030 and about 10 bucks a piece.

Best of luck

Last edited by itjim; 03-24-2010 at 11:57 PM. Reason: added p/n for board
Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 AM
tafet
Professional

Denniss66 another thing you can look at for the evap fault is to look inside of your fuel filler tube. I found a small crack in mine right about where you'd stick the fuel nozzle thru the flapper. Mine was located by a rivit. I'd say at about the 5 O'clock position. I haven't had mine fixed, but I put some form a gasket on it and let it dry before I put the cap back on. My fault cleared up on it's own after that. It has come back for a couple of months now.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:48 AM
jarhead03
Veteran

CHECK YOUR CIRCUIT BOARDS ON YOUR TAILS. Common problem on 03's

Old 03-25-2010, 12:13 PM
JDB2500

Tail light circuit boards all the way! Replace both of them at the same time and be done. That way you dont have to go through that again. I myself am battling the P0456 Evap code, stupid **** if you ask me.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

X3 on the circuit boards. Also, for the evap like Ramman said check all the hoses/clamps and make sure your seal on the gas cap is good.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:29 PM
FireFighter
Veteran

99.9% sure it's your boards for the bulb problem. I had the same thing 3 years ago, same symptoms, flasher, etc. I took mine apart as shown below. The metal "circuit board" had become loose and I "fixed" it by inlaying some sturdy cardboard inside the housing to depress the "circuit board" into it's respective slots. That lasted about 3-4 months and it reared its ugly head again. I think I paid around $19 each at the dealership. Hasn't occurred since.

Name:  100_5942.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  101.6 KB

Old 12-07-2010, 01:12 AM
JayEtter

My lamp out light comes on only when headlights are on and i use the turn signal when i hit the brakes it stops chiming until i let of the brakes someone please help!!!!

Quick Reply: super annoying "lamp out" problem, and evap code