3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck stalling out unexpectedly

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 PM
catawissarocket
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck stalling out unexpectedly

Well first off my check engine light has been on for awhile,so i took it the garage and they said it needed 02 upstream sensor. so over the weekend it would want to stall out but it didn't but almost, plus would idle all over the place. I replaced the sensors the next day figuring it would fix the problem,well after i finished installing the sensors check engine light was still on but truck seemed to run fine and the idle was stable.Today coming home from work the truck just dies on me going down the road, didn't even realize it at first so i hurried and pulled off the road before i got rear ended. i fire it back and continue down the about 2 miles and did it again. this time i put in neutral and started it quickly and mad it home..now i don't know what to due don't want to go to the garage again and dish out more money to have it checked on the computer.. need some help here guys! being i left it go for about 5 months before replacing 02 sensors do ya think it ruined something else???

Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

What engine you got?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:16 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can go to just about any auto parts store and pick yourself up a code scanner for about $50. that way you can check/clear any codes it might throw at you, and better help you to diagnose problems yourself. there is a complete listing of explanations of all codes up in the faqs section. that sure beats the hell out of paying someone to do the same exact thing for you.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:19 PM
catawissarocket
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
What engine you got?
2005, 5.7 hemi

Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

With your idle all over the place, I'd replce your IAC valve(Idle Air Control) It may be carboned up and sticking???
Also, there have been some consumer complaints about their Hemi's dying only at slow speeds though due to ecu programming. i doubt that's your problem.

How many miles have you put on it since you have owned it and have you ever done any mainenance? Spark plugs are due every 30kmi. That doesn't mean they won't go further, but they loose their strength if you will at higher mileages. You could be having a simple case of spark plug blow-out from really worn electrodes???

Old 03-24-2010, 07:57 PM
catawissarocket
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
With your idle all over the place, I'd replce your IAC valve(Idle Air Control) It may be carboned up and sticking???
Also, there have been some consumer complaints about their Hemi's dying only at slow speeds though due to ecu programming. i doubt that's your problem.

How many miles have you put on it since you have owned it and have you ever done any mainenance? Spark plugs are due every 30kmi. That doesn't mean they won't go further, but they loose their strength if you will at higher mileages. You could be having a simple case of spark plug blow-out from really worn electrodes???
well it turned 53,000 afew days ago. i bought it last september with 46,000 plus miles. is the IAC valve easy to replace and where's it located? can i pick it up a local parts store (autozone ex.) it started going all this about aweek ago. ran great prior to that.. keep them coming guys, need to get this figured out. i do appricate the feedback.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 PM
catawissarocket
Professional

If maybe it's the IAC valve would that cause the check engine light to come on? maybe it's the plugs like stated above.. well getting ready for work so wish me luck on driving in. i'll check back tomorrow to see if anyone else might have a possile answer..

Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

wit that many miles do a full service , clean your TB and get a can of sea foam half in the gas the rest in the crank

Old 03-24-2010, 09:01 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Maybe your throttle position sensor???? just thinking out loud.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 PM
catawissarocket
Professional

Originally Posted by ramhunter9
wit that many miles do a full service , clean your TB and get a can of sea foam half in the gas the rest in the crank
TB,throttle body right. what should i use that's pretty decent.I guess i'll have to deal with until i can get it a garage. stalled out only once today..

Quick Reply: truck stalling out unexpectedly