3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone using TCI Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:36 AM
03MopaRamman
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using TCI Torque Converter

Just wondering if anyone has used the TCI 141600 Streetfighter Torque converter by TCI, I am thinking of ordering it this weekend as I got a good price lined up. I have heard some positives on the APS units on here but with that option shipping from the states and brokerage would probably kill the wallet to my door and do understand the APS can be made to order depending on truck mods, but since my end mods are not yet there (I plan to change my cam again and switch tuners and add 456 gears) I figure the TCI is a best start. If it works as claimed (more Torque and launch) I should be pleased, as camping/trailer season is only 2 months away.
Your thoughts on the TCI would be appreciated.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:52 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Well I have an APS and OldDirtyJohn has an Edge Converter. And thats about it on this board... Both can make them to what you need. I got mine with little to nothing done to it at the time, but basing it off future mods is what you need to do. You'll be fine with a stall between 2400 and 2800. Also be sure there is some sort of gain from it, not all aftermarket converters will give you the added power or "gaurantee" a rwhp gain since some only increase the stall and thats it and can cause you to run a bit hotter. A higher stall does not equal more power if thats what you are after.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:08 AM
03MopaRamman
Captain

A good write up at Moes P. says between 2400 and 2600 RPM flash stall and read somewhere else a 30% increase in torque to the wheels, and it is called Breakaway and NOT Streetfighter my mistake. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:22 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, as truckin said, just make sure you get a converter thats more efficient than stock, not just a higher stall. edge racing converter, and APS are both more efficient, and they guarantee it. i know from personal experience that Andre over at Edge has some of the best customer service anyone could ask for. he isnt happy until you are totally happy. when my tranny blew up, and i was running his converter, he offered to drive down and pick the converter up so they could fix it back up and get me back on the road quicker.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:40 AM
03MopaRamman
Captain

I do not doubt the Edge and APS stellar reputations. I was just reading an old thread though about TC's you guys had on the go awhile back through another google search and I finally quit at page 12 but the more I read it (good thread it was) the more I was convinced my choice falls within requirements (I do Tow a light 4200 Lb RV Trailer too). But couldn't find any write-ups from actual customers who may have installed this TCI on a Ram so what we may get out of this is a Ginea pig test and review by myself for said 141600 Breakaway. its late so will check back tommorrow. thanks for replys so far.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:16 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are modifying to better tow, the old school was to use a lower stall TC not a higher stall. Higher the stall, the more slip and slip produces heat. Now with the lock up feature our trucks have I don't know if all this holds true. I would talk to the manufacture to get their recommendation.

Quick Reply: Anyone using TCI Torque Converter