3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fender Flares and Wheels question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 AM
05Hemi4auburn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Flares and Wheels question

Hey guys,
first question is I'm thinking of finally biting the bullet and getting some fender flares for my truck, but it's two-tone (Pewter top and Silver bottom) and was wondering what it would look like. If I do get some I plan on getting the black ones and leaving them black. I think if I get them painted it will look wierd trying to match the paint tones and they'll probably get pretty scratched over time. Just wondering what you guys think and if any of you have them and have two-tone paint. If you do, can you post up a pic so I can see?

Second question is about my wheels. I've got MotoMetal 951's and I'm really bad about washing my truck, expecially in the winter. Problem is that now that I've gone a long time and brake dust has built up a little, the chrome on the wheels have started to pitt a little. I've gotten some chrome polish and worked on them a little, but they definitely don't look new anymore. They've got the 5 foot appeal, know what I mean? Just wondering if any of you have expereinced this too? (BTW, I've haven't gone longer than 3 months between washes, but the wheels were starting to look pretty black by then)

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 AM
hoss67
Record Breaker

get some bushwacker pocket style flares, they look great, about painting them thats up to u.... i am not painting mine because my front end is black completely so the flares would match my truck, as for the rim, try never dull. u can get it at any auto parts store, best damn chrome polish i have ever used, and if that dont work on ur chrome then u might be SOL sry dude.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, you need to show your truck some love. Also the fender flares if not properly installed can trap water/mud and will cause the fenders to rust. Not painting them is basically an unfinished install in my book. Good luck..

Old 03-26-2010, 10:35 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

i say paint them , gives it a more custom look . i had black ones on ol red then on the mega i painted to match ,looks cleaner IMO.

and as far as wheels go , get a good polish and a buffer ball that goes in a cordless drill and go to town.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 AM
05Hemi4auburn

Yeah I finally washed the truck last weekend and felt guilty about it being so long. We had a baby girl in December and she's effected my schedule just a bit and the ole truck got the bad end of the deal. Still do the maintenance when needed, just the appearance factor went down on the priorities. I was just a bit bummed when I cleaned the wheels to find the small pits in the chrome. I'll try that saav and see if it works. I've never heard of it and sounds like it could do the trick.

On the flares, I'm definitely going with the bushwackers; I want to paint em, I'm just reluctant due to the 2 tone paint. I'd like to see an example before I spend the cash for paint. I like the solid ones though. BTW, do you guys remember round about how much a body shop charged to paint 'em? Couldn't be more than about 150 or so I can imagine.

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Ram2500hd

im in the same boat with the fender flares if i paint mine im gonna go with the lower two tone color, on the wheels a buddy of mine that sells wheels has always told me to get em clean a spray them with pledge and it seems to work great no pitting (yet) and im really bad about washing *** well

Old 03-26-2010, 11:02 AM
dedogg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ramhunter9
i say paint them , gives it a more custom look . i had black ones on ol red then on the mega i painted to match ,looks cleaner IMO.

and as far as wheels go , get a good polish and a buffer ball that goes in a cordless drill and go to town.

^^^What he said^^^

Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

mine were color matched for 200 bucks

Old 03-26-2010, 01:01 PM
04Phantom
Professional

IMO you should paint the flares silver to match the bottom paint tone on the truck..

Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed. especially if the bumper is the same color. use the flare to connect the two in the color scheme. but definitely the silver on the flares regardless

Quick Reply: Fender Flares and Wheels question