3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Custom ported TB (85mm)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:12 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Custom ported TB (85mm)

Well I have a few of these so i decided to port one out instead of sending it off to have done. I think it came out rather nice for my first time. I put it on a machine lathe at work and worked it to the shaft on both sides to 85mm and then had to do the rest by hand (dremel and carbide bits)

Ive still got to smooth things out with more fine grit paper and around the shaft but for the most part it is done.

Here are all of the pics

http://cid-fb87bd8396fbfbf4.skydrive...hrottle%20body

Old 04-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks pretty good man. Are you putting that on your truck or are you doing it for someone elses truck?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:30 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Its going on mine. Im getting ready to leave work here in a few. Ive got to go by UPS and ship a few things off to my fellow DT/DF guys and then Im going home to put the TB on and see how well it works. With the entire thing being ported out to 85 and not tapered up to and from the shaft, I am interested to see if my original butterfly plate will work or will I need to cut a new one.

Also interested in duplicating this knife edge I have heard about.

I thought about doing the other 3 have the same way and selling them but IDK. The machine lathing is easy but the grinding with the carbide bits and dremel tool is a PITA if you were to do more than one of these.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Can't wait to hear how it runs for you. Might have found yourself a side job making these things if it works well for you.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:22 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice and large...thats what she said right...but anyway very nice work....did you ever look for that awg wire...

Old 04-02-2010, 10:31 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

the weed man strikes again.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Weed, This brings up an idea I had about increasing idle. Which I understand is a problem for hi lift cams especially on 03 models. How about drilling a couple small air bleed holes in the thottle blade. This was done back in the day of carburetors for certain conditions. And since you have spares maybe you could give it a try. You are da Man....

Old 04-02-2010, 01:52 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Um, well, I need a bigger butterfly plate evidently. I put it on but with the OEM plate I guess it is pulling too much air and not running right. For right now I put my original TB back on.

Damn, almost there.

JusJay, Im gonna go outside and look in just a few on that wire

Old 04-02-2010, 05:20 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Thats why the fastman TB's are tapered out to 85mm so he can retain the stock plate. There are a few do a full bore but the plate needs to be scaled up just as large as the port other wise you may be sucking to little air. Watch yourself with the knife edge though, when I tried it on mine it made it WAY to sensitive. I know Frog had better luck with it but for me I hated it while driving home in rush hour. Also, if you can, do a half shaft, it is suppose to improve flow even more.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:28 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Um, well, I need a bigger butterfly plate evidently. I put it on but with the OEM plate I guess it is pulling too much air and not running right. For right now I put my original TB back on.

Damn, almost there.

JusJay, Im gonna go outside and look in just a few on that wire
Weed,
Not running right, was it a high idle, rough idle or what?

Quick Reply: Custom ported TB (85mm)