3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turn signal mod idea.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt99
gaa those muthco ones are 269 for heated ones...that ridiculous for an arrow.

I like weeds idea, but hes one of the only ones that could even do it!
I have thought about it and even gathered the materials but I would really like an extra set of mirrors first being I havent done it before.

Why do you think i have 4 throttle bodies before I tried to port one out to 85mm!!

Old 04-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I have thought about it and even gathered the materials but I would really like an extra set of mirrors first being I havent done it before.

Why do you think i have 4 throttle bodies before I tried to port one out to 85mm!!
because the threat of being out $200 for the mirrors and your truck being down for the entire time it takes for the dealer to get the mirrors in will cost more than its worth

Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah but you can get OEM reg mirrors for 50-100 bux all day. I will try it one day. Right now my mind is on a new custom center console and a floor shifter. Maybe a new cam and that 6.1 intake setup in the summer

Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Rojhan
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Yeah but you can get OEM reg mirrors for 50-100 bux all day. I will try it one day. Right now my mind is on a new custom center console and a floor shifter. Maybe a new cam and that 6.1 intake setup in the summer
IIRC, when I upgraded my 1500 from regular (heated/power) to tow (heated/power) it was close to $300.

I'll stick with this idea for now. If it doesn't work, I'm out $20 or so, and I can rip it out - no harm, no foul.

I have looked at the internal (tore open the 1500 non-tow mirrors when I took them off) wire path on the mirrors, and there is some kind of rotating wiring harness/plug that I could see no way of working with. If I follow the outside of the mirror, I could drill a 3/32" hole in the mirror mount and seal it with black RTV if it didn't work out. That leaves some wire still exposed and subject to damage, though.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Rojhan
Veteran
Old 04-10-2010, 08:04 PM
okaymatt
Professional

Don't put them in the wheel well they get so covered with grime it would just be a waste.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:21 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats unique for sure, be good at night. Would be cool if you could sync them with the same flash rate as the halogens.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Rojhan
Veteran

Originally Posted by JoeHemi
thats unique for sure, be good at night. Would be cool if you could sync them with the same flash rate as the halogens.
That's apparently some weird video artifact, or something to do with LED vs halogen. I thought the same thing (that they weren't flashing in sync) and looked specifically for it. Visually they are in sync. The difference in the video is likely because the on/off of the LEDs are quicker, and persistence-of-vision in the eye.

They are wired directly to the wire going to the turn signal bulb so the are getting the same electrical signal.

Quick Reply: Turn signal mod idea.