3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP!!! What's the best tuner for MPG and HP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:28 PM
jtswenson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! What's the best tuner for MPG and HP?

Hi,

I have an 03 ram with the 5.7 and 5spd auto. I've been doing searches but just can't find the info I need. I'd really like to find a cheap, used tuner that can help me increase mpg and hp. I've only got a gibson exhaust so far, but would probably get a spectre air filter if I got a tuner. What should I be looking for and what can I expect in hp and mpg gains? Is my tranny tunable as well? Thanks in advance!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:34 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Get a car. lol. You got a truck, You can get a little better gas mileage, but dont be expecting to be getting 25 mpg. At best your looking at maybe saving 2 mpg, 3 if you drive it really soft.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want a cheap tuner get a used sc 3815. They are selling really cheap now that they are not getting the trans tuning update. If you are looking for other mods that help mpg's, get an e-fan. Best mpg improvement that I have seen from any mod came from the e-fan.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

i raise the BS flag on "i've searched and cant find it". Theres a hundred different threads on this exact question. The answer? For light modding, get a superchips. If you're gonna be doing cam work or anything, get a diablo. You have an 03, so you dont get tranny support, sorry. Do a search for "03 TMR delete mod" though...its the best you're gonna get.

Since you're not gonna get tranny support, I'd recommend finding a used Superchips 3815. They're all over the place and if you pay more than $200 for one you're gettin ripped off. Make sure its VIN unlocked

welcome nooberonie

Old 04-05-2010, 04:43 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

I have to agree with all that has been said previously. The best mod you can do for MPG is a E-Fan. If your planning on light engine modding then you need to find a used 3815 Superchips and look up the TMR delete mod by using the search on this site. But, when its all said and done, if you are looking for BIG MPG gains your in the wrong vehicle man.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:45 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

i got all the info you need right here...https://dodgeforum.com/forum/search.php

Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 PM
jtswenson

thanks for the help guys. I guess I shouldn't have said I couldn't find anything in the search, I just wasn't willing to sift through everything for days. The TMR thing sounds cool, but if I'm going to get flamed for trying to improve MPG, then I guess I'll ask what you guys are doing trying to turn a ram into a 1/4 mile monster?....haha Also, I'm well aware that I won't be pulling 25mpg with it, but if I can gain 2-4mpg I would be very happy. Is it reasonable to think that I could gain such with a programmer? What have people seen for mpg gains with the efan?...honestly?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
bamataco
Veteran

I got a super chip and there is very little if any better mileage that I am getting. But there is some savings in that I can run 87 octane. That where I live is twenty cents a gallon cheaper than high test. I am getting a K&N CAI. I hope that helps a little. Also I have read where some people complain that they feel a little seat of the pants differance while running the superchip on the 87 mode. I agree but it isn't drastic.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:03 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

man i saw a 2mpg jump with 91 tune on 93 octane with my s/c programmer...and a bunch of guys have proved there no change running 87 oct.....intakes dont help mpgs at all...and the seat of the pants is there with either 87 or 91 tunes...just doesnt turn your 1/2 ton into a rice rrocket or do for you what a diesel tuner will....efan a s/c and dont drive it like you stole it with them...and everything compliments others like intake exhaust and such....

Old 04-05-2010, 06:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I hear that Prius tuner works pretty well...

Quick Reply: HELP!!! What's the best tuner for MPG and HP?