3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 PM
glenn.d.smith
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC issues

So I've been doing some searches on the problems people have been having with their condenser fans and I was wondering if mine should throw a code (it doesn't) if the fan does not come on? I have power to the fan but it does not come on at idle with the ac on. How can I test to see if it is the fan or relay? Oh, btw my multitester shows over 14 volts going to the fan - is this too much?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:12 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

perfectly normal. 13.8 volts is generally what you will see in any vehicle.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM
glenn.d.smith
Professional

Thanks, Rocket. I was assuming that if there was power to the fan that the relay was ok adn the problem is with the fan. Is it ok to just wire it up directly from the battery to see if it works?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:24 PM
abarmby
Champion

Test the fan by putting the AC on and then, carefully, just give the AC condenser fan a "kick on" with your hand.
If the fan spins and keeps working, it's the fan motor brushes shot.
The motor will probably keep running for a short while, but there's no torque behind it to pull much air over the radiator and you will have the same problem of it not restarting when you use the AC next time.
It's a good way to tst the motor though.
I rebuilt my fan motor about 21/2 years ago and it works just fine.
You can get an OEM replacement on e-bay. They're cheap enough.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:09 PM
glenn.d.smith
Professional

Thanks abarmby. I read some of your responses on this topic when I did my search and hoped you would chime in Did your fan crap out due to the design flaw with the shroud or was it something else? I like to tinker with things so I'll probably try to repair it myself first. Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:02 AM
abarmby
Champion

My fan just crapped out, due to wear and tear. When I took the motor apart, the brushes inside were completely worn and one of the leads connecting to one of the brushes, just fell off.
I replaced the brushes and "lapped" them in a little. Cleaned the comutator and sealed it all back up.
I't sworked ever since.
Does your fan motor have little if any torque behind it when it's spinning?
Did you try to start it up by giving it a spin by hand yet?
That will tell you 100% if your fan motor is goosed and not something else, causing your AC issue.
Al.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
glenn.d.smith
Professional

Well I went out lunchtime and tried giving the fan a spin while the ac was on and the compressor clutch was engaged and the fan wouldn't stay going. It looked like it may have spun for a little longer than the force I had applied to it ought to have but that's about all. Like i said, there is power coming form the harness which should rule out the relay? Is there a way to test the relay? I am going to try applying 12 volts directly to it this weekend and if it doesn't spin I'll take a peek inside.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by glenn.d.smith
Well I went out lunchtime and tried giving the fan a spin while the ac was on and the compressor clutch was engaged and the fan wouldn't stay going. It looked like it may have spun for a little longer than the force I had applied to it ought to have but that's about all. Like i said, there is power coming form the harness which should rule out the relay? Is there a way to test the relay? I am going to try applying 12 volts directly to it this weekend and if it doesn't spin I'll take a peek inside.
Maybe your getting power and you ground is bad? I'm terrible when it comes to electrical but it's a thought at least.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:18 AM
NoFearEyes
Rookie

Having same problem--How to check for 12V at harness? I used a volt meter and tried to measure across the two poles int the connector--NADA. Also tired to check across the two fuse poles in the fuse box--NADA.

How should I attach volt meter to check that there is 12V to FAN ??

Old 06-23-2010, 03:06 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Why not use jump wires and go from the fan wires directly to the battery to check and see if it is the fan motor itself?

Quick Reply: AC issues