3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sputter/Stalling after Filling Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Decion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputter/Stalling after Filling Gas Tank

Without fail this happens almost every time I refill the gas tank. After putting in the typical 23 gallons of gas I pull out of the gas station and head down the road, as the vehicle is coasting the engine sputters and wants to stall. ('04 1500 QC SB 5.7L) It also has some hesitation when starting from a stop. This does not start until about 1/2 a mile out of the gas station and end after 2-3 more miles. At no other time does the engine ever sputter, hesitate or try to stall. I have tried different gas stations (always using regular) and the problem occurs every time that I can remember. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? My (big) guess is it has something to do with the computer taking time to recognize that the tank is full and it is trying to compensate for increased fuel pressure by not sending as much fuel to the engine. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

so if you ever keep your tank at or less than half a tank full does it still do ANY of these symptoms?

Old 04-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

There could be some junk in your tank that gets sturred up everytime you fill up. Water, dirt??

Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Decion

Originally Posted by weedahoe
so if you ever keep your tank at or less than half a tank full does it still do ANY of these symptoms?
It only occurs after the situation I described. I will try refilling when I get to 1/2 a tank this time to see if it happens.

Originally Posted by Mega-Hemi
There could be some junk in your tank that gets sturred up everytime you fill up. Water, dirt??
That is definitely a possibility that I did not think of. Since I do typically run the tank almost empty (lazy) it could stir up any dirt that lies on the bottom.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:53 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah but putting in 10 gallons or 20 gallons would still stir anything up if there were sediments in the tank.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:24 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Sounds like the filter in the pump is getting partially plugged.

Quick Reply: Sputter/Stalling after Filling Gas Tank