3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Borla Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:17 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla Muffler

Sorry about the long post fella's!

Hey guys! Haven't been around for a while, been doing general maintenance and also some heavy maintenance that I never caught before! When I was out at the dunes a few weeks back I noticed that my 4wd didnt work! I mean I still did alright out there even without it, the new tires really made a difference and the limited slip did help a little! So I started checking things out to figure what was going on with my 4wd, and what did I find, I found that all the gears in my front differential were basically running freely and that there was a hole in the bottom of my front diff! I haven't owned this truck very long, and until I had these new good Toyo MT's I never dared take the truck in anything I would need 4wd in, so I never caught this. So on Wednesday all day long I spent switching out my front differential with one that a guy was selling from a truck with 48k miles on it. Only differential I could find with 3.92's already in it! And wow, Ill tell you what, you want to talk about a project! That differential is hard to get out! There are some very awkward bolts to get at! But at about 2:30 in the morning I had finished with that and had the truck mostly put back together, enough that I could leave it till the next morning. So the next day I went, got the fluid in that diff changed, got an alignment, and got a full tuneup done, transmission fluid, oil, radiator, rear diff and so on and so forth. So now the truck is running great, I dont think there are any more surprises I should find from the previous owners! Still very happy with the truck, it is very well built and very well taken care of for the most part, it just seems like the previous owner didnt have enough money to take care of the differential, but it turned out only costing me $350, so Im not to upset.

To anyone who feels like there truck is running rough btw, definitely get a transmission fluid change! Changed the way my truck ran alot!!

So now we get to what I wanted to post about, I will post up pictures later btw of the old differential! But what I wanted to ask was, I am going to start doing my exhaust now that all of the maintenance is out of the way on my truck, and for mufflers I want to get a Borla xr-1, And I found a 12 inch at summit for $124.95 but what Im wondering, would a 12 inch be to short? Should I get a 14 inch instead? Im going to be doing headers and a magnaflow hi-flow cat both at the same time and want the best combo I can get! So anyone who knows anything about this stuff help would be great!! Thanks!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:41 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

12 inch is fine it will be louder . smaller is louder

Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

How much louder? And will it make any difference performance-wise? Or will I see the exact same gains out of a 14 inch? Because I'm not really looking for wake everyone up in the neighborhood if I have to get in late from a night of work kind of loud... ya know? So Im thinking maybe a 14 inch would be better? Especially in combo with cat4ward headers and a magnaflow hi-flow cat? And does anyone have a good link for the cats also? I dont seem to be able to find what Im looking for.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:31 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

So... Im guessing noone has any help for me? I already know which muffler, which headers and which cat Im going to get, but I dont know how long to get the muffler and I dont know where to get the cat... so just that little bit of help would be nice... Even the muffler Im fairly certain of, Im pretty sure Im just getting a 14 inch.

just a little help with the cat would be nice!

Old 04-17-2010, 01:45 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Old 04-17-2010, 01:49 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

With headers this is how it will sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubT2tJI5o_k

As for it being to loud... its really not. depending how you rout the piping its actually pretty quite in the cab. No drone but you can hear it rumbling. personally I love mine. For power increase, you''ll see a little bit of a gain over what you got but you wont really notice it until you get some headers on it and let it breath. Power between the 14" and 12" shouldn't be any difference. Its a straight through design so the flow will be about the same only difference will be a slightly quieter ride

Old 04-18-2010, 01:20 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Alright, Thanks Truckin! Appreciate the help! Im also wondering how it will sound on the 5.9! Although I cant get the longtubes like you since they dont have them for the 02 5.9, searched everywhere, the best you can get is the cat4ward... sad right.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:43 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-18-2010, 02:22 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I cant tell which one is actually the one to get for my truck, I dont know if mine is 2 1/4 inch exhaust or 2 1/2 at the cat...

Old 04-18-2010, 02:46 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahh I see, yea I went to magnaflows website and they offer a 2 1/2 and a 2 1/4 Cat as well so I'm not really sure. I guess your best bet is to crawl under the truck and take a measurement.

Quick Reply: Borla Muffler