3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Having some bad luck with the dodge.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Denniss66
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having some bad luck with the dodge.

okay well i haven't been having so much luck with my truck lately. it all started with noticing a leak on the driver side rear wheel. so i took the wheel off thinking it was the brakes and well found out the brakes were f***ed but i got it just before they started touching metal. so that was good but it was an axle seal leaking. so i changed all four brakes and both rear axles seals. so thats all good now.

So while i had my front end off the ground i checked my ball joints turns out i needed lower ones so all right i have 204000km and haven't done them yet. so i found two moog ball joints on line for 50 bucks. took my passenger side apart and changed it then noticed an axle seal leaking. phoned everywhere i could think of nobody listed anything for axle seals for the front. finally about a week or two later i found someone who could order them in after sending me the wrong ones the first time. so changed it and began to takle the driver side. man what a fight i am having with that. the axle wouldn't come out of the bearing so i had to get a tool from a shop to press it out and it was a fight to the bitter end. now i can't get it off of the diff side. its really making me mad i tried hitting it with a hammer i tried a porter power that was good for 8 tons and it still wouldn't pop off.

so this is where im at. i need to get a slide hammer but its so rusted and seized on there that i don't think its gonna do the job. i also wrecked a boot in the process of trying to get it off. is it safe to apply heat to that side of the axle or what are my options of getting it off without taking it into a shop. its a pretty long rant but my truck has been down for about 2 weeks now and i want it back.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:56 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are no issue's with heat the bearing is being replaced and that is the only thing that can get damaged. I saw my dad heat up axles like you wouldn't believe . So your good there , and don't use propane no no you need the real deal too get it cherry red just don't hit the oxygen. you'll blow a hole through it.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

alright ill have to see if i can find a torch cause i dont have one. and don't know anyone with one.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 PM
rocket23
Champion

if you think it's getting to the point for the pro's, your right, it is imo.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

well ill give it one more shot with a slide hammer tomorrow if that don't work i guess i got to do what i got to do.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:14 PM
rocket23
Champion

thattaboy take it from a an experienced hack! When it comes too f&^king something up I am KING lol

Quick Reply: Having some bad luck with the dodge.