3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheels and Tire help???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 08:38 AM
mikbimdre
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels and Tire help???

I need some help. I just bought the PA 3" body lift kit and the AAC Halos. I haven't put them on yet but when I do it is going to look really dumb with the stock 17" tires I have on now. I've searched around here and I can't really find a good thread that gives me a bunch of options for what will fit on my truck. Does anyone have suggestions. I want a bigger tire but I don't really know how big I can go or how wide? I'm kind of new at all this stuff. And I'm not against getting some new wires either.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

First of all, unless you are a big fan of the "rake" look, I'd either crank the front key bolts a bit or look into a set of inexpensive leveling keys to go in combination with the body lift. This will also give you the added lift in the front you are gonna want if you opt for 35" tires.

At that point, any good A/T or M/T tire in the 33" to 35" range would be a good choice. If you want to go 12 -12.5" wide on the tires, then replacing the wheels with a 17x9 wheel with a 0 to negative offset and about 4.25 - 4.5" of backspacing would be highly advisable.

Personally, I've always been a big fan of the Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek wheels. They offer a good looking wheel at a very competitive price and their strength to weight ratio is about the best you'll find out there.

As far as tires go in 17", it's a big part personal preference and what you plan to do with them. For mostly on pavement with some weekend jaunts off-road, most popular choices are the Nitto Terra Grappler, Toyo Open Country A/T or Mickey Thompson ATZ. The Terra's are not overly expensive, offer about the best wet and dry pavement ratings and are surprisingly quiet for a fairly aggressive A/T.

My Cepek FCIIs are a fantastic tire for a combination on road with a bit more aggressive off-road characteristics and along with the Super Swamper M16s and Nitto Trail Grapplers are filling the niche between an A/T and M/T tire quite nicely. The Cepeks are at the upper end of the $ range, but at 29k mine still have well over 90% tread on them, by far the longest lasting tire I've owned in over 25 years of having 4x4 trucks and SUVs. The only downside is that they are about as loud as all but the most aggressive true M/Ts...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 04-20-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:22 PM
mikbimdre
Rookie

This may be a stupid question but I think the previous owner put a leveling kit on it because the front seems to be leveled with the back, what can I do to check to see if he installed one or not.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:41 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

park the truck on level ground and measure the front and rear tire wells. Just from the pic it doesn't look too level, but that may be the uneveness of where you were parked.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:00 PM
mikbimdre
Rookie

Here is another picture. It looks to me like the gaps are pretty even. I'll measure it tonight but either way do you think it is worth adding the level if it looks this close. I'm definitly not against adding the keys, i'm really just wondering if i have them already or not.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:49 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

IMHO it looks if anything the previous owner cranked the t-bars. Looks like you may still be able to up just a bit and it be perfect. Hey, it's a free lift if you measure it and it's not quite level.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:19 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes I agree crank a couple more turns, get the BL and some 35X12.50's

Old 04-20-2010, 03:29 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

Here i got the same wheels as you, and this is my setup

Old 04-20-2010, 05:02 PM
mikbimdre
Rookie

Do you guys agree that I should get rid of the stock rims and go with the wider ones. Or just put some bigger tires on? It looks like hoss67 still has the stock 17". Did you just add wheel adapters to push them out a bit to give you more clearance. By the way I do appreciate all the advice.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:44 PM
hoss67
Record Breaker

yea just got 1.5" hub centric adapters... rides just fine, and gives it a great stance.... look up at SMKNRAM i think he also has spacers too, and gives him a great stance too

Quick Reply: Wheels and Tire help???