3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why should I buy a Ram 1500 over a F-150?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 05:05 PM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why should I buy a Ram 1500 over a F-150?

I stand corrected, haha. I forgot I had even read that article a while back. In that case, this dude had some definite mods done to his Z71. OR the other driver didn't give his/her all.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:11 PM
repsol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had major whinning noise coming from the rear end of my 2000 mustang, dealer repair it for 900bucks, then less then 3 month it happen again.

also a friend of my have a 2002 f150 - same whinning noise from rear end (happen with less then 2k miles). same thing dealer fixed it but it keep coming back every couple thousand miles.

not going to buy a ford at least for couple of years, or wait til they redesigned.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:13 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Where to start on your question...

1. Dodge has a better warranty.
2. Dodges are typically better equipped for the same price.
3. Ford's rear seats are too low, I feel like my knees are at my chin.
4. Dodge has more powerful engines.
5. If you haul alot the Ford's beds are really deep, but tailgate height is higher.
6. I prefer non electric 4x4 engagement on the Dodge.
7. More front interior room in Dodge.
8. Dodge has more ground clearance (imp. to me for fire trails, etc.)
9. Appearance is personal taste, but I like Ram over F150.
10. Interior cloth is better in Ram. I actually chose the Deluxe cloth over leather.

There is more, but 10 things I've noticed. Both are good products, but I feel Ram is better all around and a much better buy.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Avanti
Captain

Some comments about the Motor Trend data (apart from it being Motor Trend).

The performance differences are very small and driver variance could make much more difference on-the-street. Next, the power-to-weight ratios of the test ed trucks suggest something is rotten in the state of truck-testdom... and, the rearend ratios are not different enough to account for the data (though I do not have transmission gear ratios for the Chevy, I doubt that is the issue since it is a four-speed compared to what is in reality a six--different ratios shifting up and down in the Dodge).

ALL else being equal less weight will win, plain and simple.

Buy whatever you want and be happy. I've done my research (it's what I do for a living) and have a hemi Ram on order.

All the best.

Oh yeah, forgot... compare the prices in the MT data table!!! Now, what kind of performance mods could one do with the TON of money saved buying the Dodge over the Chevy? Ha, ha, HA, HA!

Old 05-09-2005, 07:09 PM
gsxr150
Rookie

Well honestly I'm pretty much sold on the dodge. Now it's just a matter of when I make a purchase. I'll probably be leasing when I'm ready. The only thing I don't care for is the gas milage, but that just comes with the territory. OK, Honda Civic or Dodge Ram...haha. So unless gas prices go to $3, you'll probably see me in a Ram. The next question will be to wait for the 2006 or get a steal on the 2005 (lease).

Yeah I think my neighbor is not right. Truly I'm not going to be racing around my truck eaither way, but I have to get out of this tiny POS ranger.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Randy_W
Professional

Next, the power-to-weight ratios of the test ed trucks suggest something is rotten in the state of truck-testdom.
Those big ol' SS's run thier asses off, don't be kidding yourself that MT had a ringer, most of them are quicker than that! They will go 14.20's with very minor bolt on's. The only difference in the 345 h.p. 6.0 and the lesser rated versions is in the tuning, the internals are identical. With a proper Wester's tune and exhaust the 6.0 will put 300 h.p. to awd.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:08 PM
DonG
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Avanti
Oh yeah, forgot... compare the prices in the MT data table!!! Now, what kind of performance mods could one do with the TON of money saved buying the Dodge over the Chevy? Ha, ha, HA, HA!

I hear that. GMs pricing seems out of site. The uglier the truck the higher the price (Avalanch).

Old 05-09-2005, 08:12 PM
DonG
Veteran

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08

Where to start on your question...

1. Dodge has a better warranty.
2. Dodges are typically better equipped for the same price.
3. Ford's rear seats are too low, I feel like my knees are at my chin.
4. Dodge has more powerful engines.
5. If you haul alot the Ford's beds are really deep, but tailgate height is higher.
6. I prefer non electric 4x4 engagement on the Dodge.
7. More front interior room in Dodge.
8. Dodge has more ground clearance (imp. to me for fire trails, etc.)
9. Appearance is personal taste, but I like Ram over F150.
10. Interior cloth is better in Ram. I actually chose the Deluxe cloth over leather.

There is more, but 10 things I've noticed. Both are good products, but I feel Ram is better all around and a much better buy.
You forgot something - in Ford's defense they now use stronger bolts to keep the bed from flying off the truck.

Old 05-09-2005, 08:34 PM
RamObsessed

What they all said, plus ITS A FORD DUDE!!! lol
People who go from fords to Dodges are the happiest people I know. Go with the Dodge....
Once you test drive it, you will be sold.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:48 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

You forgot something - in Ford's defense they now use stronger bolts to keep the bed from flying off the truck.
Damn, can't believe I forgot that. Last time I was under my truck I saw some Grade 8 hardware too, hmmm, maybe those bed bolts aren't so special after all. Let's be fair and mention the outboard shocks, too.

Quick Reply: Why should I buy a Ram 1500 over a F-150?