3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

R.i.p.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:50 AM
rickof08
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy R.i.p.

So I just hit a deer on my way home....the truck is fine but my grill guard......well.......it has seen better days. Ill post pics when the sun comes up. 250 bucks well spent i guess

Old 04-26-2010, 05:11 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch, guess it coulda been worse. good your alright

Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 AM
josemer09
Rookie

Was it something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcfEMGlzDN0

Last edited by josemer09; 04-26-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:04 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

HOLY *****!! Thats just NASTY and funny at the same time......Dammit Josemer09

JoeHemi, Thats why i used to have my grill guard on and it gave me reassurance. Not that its not on, sometimes I do get worried about the same thing.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't think Bambi made it in that one. But look at the bright side, the venison has already been tenderized... LMAO!!!

Seriously, I've never hit a deer, but have had a good half dozen close calls. Was on my way to fish a bass tourney on Clarks Hill Lake on the Ga/SC border about 13 years ago, was hauling my bass boat about an hour before sunup and came around a curve to a HERD of about 8 or 9 deer just milling about on the road. Dunno how I missed them or didn't jack knife the boat trailer.

But a good quality grill guard is a great investment. Often it'll make the difference between driving home or having to call a flatbed...

Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

^^ yeah and if they werent so dang ugly i might get one.

A guy I work with totaled his first Ram (04) from hittin a deer at 70mph. The next week he got another ram (07) and put a grille gaurd on it. Good thing too, cause 2 months later he hit another deer and smashed the grille gaurd. Saved the truck though -- only 3k in damage to the headlights, grille, and front bumper. He now has another grille gaurd on it. The way I see it, he's already paid for 4-5 of those things in savings!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:40 AM
megablacktank
Professional

Yeah I would have to say that really sucks but grill guards definantly make the difference. Weed I don't see what you are so worried about, if anything you will have the deer lodged in the bottom side of the truck dragging it around and leaving a bloody trail every where you go.
Then the cops can just follow that around to find you!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 AM
rocket23
Champion

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Don't think Bambi made it in that one. But look at the bright side, the venison has already been tenderized... LMAO!!!

Seriously, I've never hit a deer, but have had a good half dozen close calls. Was on my way to fish a bass tourney on Clarks Hill Lake on the Ga/SC border about 13 years ago, was hauling my bass boat about an hour before sunup and came around a curve to a HERD of about 8 or 9 deer just milling about on the road. Dunno how I missed them or didn't jack knife the boat trailer.

But a good quality grill guard is a great investment. Often it'll make the difference between driving home or having to call a flatbed...
hammer with all the shlt you got on your truck elephant herds should be wearylo j/k of course, but you do have some protection with that winch imo. Tough break fot the grill guard You still don.t have the stock one??

Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually, rocket, I kinda wish I could have kept my old winch mount when I swapped out my old M9000 for the better XD9000i winch, you wouldn't believe how much heavier it is than the one I have now, and mounts with eight Grade 8 bolts as opposed to six. But the "i" series Warn winches won't mount to them.

They are both solid 1/4" steel, but the old one is rated for all the way up to a 16 ton winch and offered a much taller "shield" in the front.

Name:  0115001132.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  101_0024.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  95.0 KB

Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by megablacktank
Yeah I would have to say that really sucks but grill guards definantly make the difference. Weed I don't see what you are so worried about, if anything you will have the deer lodged in the bottom side of the truck dragging it around and leaving a bloody trail every where you go.
Then the cops can just follow that around to find you!

LOL......you do know those b*stards jump right?

Quick Reply: R.i.p.