3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Waxing...Deep Gloss Shine

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Waxing...Deep Gloss Shine

Okay well I have been waxing by hand for awhile now...It looks good and has a pretty nice shine to it. My hands hurt and it takes forever, and none of the swirls or scratches really come out...Im asking for help from some of you detailing gurus...

I have a random orbiter and a craftsman 8in sander/polisher. I have some terrycloth pads for the orbiter but only a wool looking pad for the sander/polisher...I usually use microfiber pads so will the terrycloth pads leave swirls? And what kind of pad do I need for the bigger sander/polisher?

Any advice will be helpful...I had some Mequiars #7 for polish that I was going to use.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:10 PM
mr_baseball_08

If you've got swirls or scratches, no amount of wax will take them out. You can try something like Meguiar's ScratchX for small scratches, but I've found it to be ineffective in 98% of my situations (even the tiniest scratches took forever to make a difference).

It probably needs to be buffed with a professional right angle polisher/buffer. If you've never done it, then I recommend you take it to a professional to make sure it's done right. It will probably cost between $100 and $200 but it's worth it if you want to get rid of those swirls and small scratches.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Orbital buffers are no more than a wax applicator aid. They don't do anything for scratches/swirls IMO and you'll be at it forever to get anywhere's.

A professional rotary buffer is what you need to take care of that stuff. Those types are what lightly sands down the clear coats using polishes and rubbing compounds to remove the imperfections. These should be left for the trained as it's very easy to burn your clear coat by using the wrong pads and speed.
You can also use claybar to take out swirls and light scratches(very light meaning if your fingernail catches it's too deep)
Claybar also lightly sands down the clearcoat to remove the imperfections.

I think you'd be wasting your time using the orbital and actually it's what you should have been using to spread the wax to make your arms les fatigued. Terry cloth pads aren't meant for "cutting". I have several foam pads that are used for that. Terry cloth is for polishing and wax application.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Matt99
Champion

yea dirty I was just scared that the terry cloth would swirl up my paint, as it will if you are cleaning with one. I know if my fingernail catches its done for, most of mine are in better shape than that

I know that wax wont fix swirls, thats why I bought the polish. My craftsman sander/polisher looks just like a porter cable so I figure it would do the job, if I take it easy and dont use any kind of rough compound or polish. I dont want to pay someone because I want to learn to do it!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I dont have a speed buffer or anything fancy. I do have a regular orbital buffer but I use foam pads to apply and I take off my hand.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not a genious here matt99, ( We all know that btw), but can't you do a search engine on "how too detail a vehicle"? I know it isn't as fun as posting a thread here, but really, i know I'm good at tearing stuff up and then turning a wrench. And it already has been replied too seek professional help. My point is your not gonna find it here imo.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt, I think it is a great thing to want to learn, BUT coming from someone who has run a high speed buffer/polisher, you do not want to learn on a black vehicle, especially your own!!! It is a skill that needs to be practiced but black WILL show every swirl, and you WILL leave swirl marks your first few times practicing. Not to mention till you get the technique down, it is very easy to burn the clear cote, and paint off to the metal.

SO what I suggest is find a vehicle or two that you can practice on and in the mean time, clay bar!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:46 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also I always used sheep wool pads on my high speed. They MUST be clean and you need to keep them cleaned out as you go!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Matt99
Champion

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I dont have a speed buffer or anything fancy. I do have a regular orbital buffer but I use foam pads to apply and I take off my hand.
Like dirty said, use the orbital to save your arms in regular waxing?

Originally Posted by rocket23
i'm not a genious here matt99, ( We all know that btw), but can't you do a search engine on "how too detail a vehicle"? I know it isn't as fun as posting a thread here, but really, i know I'm good at tearing stuff up and then turning a wrench. And it already has been replied too seek professional help. My point is your not gonna find it here imo.
I have gone on a few detailing forums but most of them are way too technical and expensive for what Im looking for...I am not a detailing professional nor want to sink alot of money into something I do once a year

Originally Posted by SMKNRAM
Matt, I think it is a great thing to want to learn, BUT coming from someone who has run a high speed buffer/polisher, you do not want to learn on a black vehicle, especially your own!!! It is a skill that needs to be practiced but black WILL show every swirl, and you WILL leave swirl marks your first few times practicing. Not to mention till you get the technique down, it is very easy to burn the clear cote, and paint off to the metal.

SO what I suggest is find a vehicle or two that you can practice on and in the mean time, clay bar!
You are right about the black truck. It shows everything...I guess I will chill on the idea of power buffing and stick to the random orbital to help with waxing. I have some sheeps wool pads for mine, I messed around with it once and it just threw dust around. Mine says do not put wax on them

Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and for a once a year deal, I agree whole heartedly, btw. I'll spend 75 bucks on an outside detail, and have that guy sweat out the black vehicle he has to work on. ha Ha

Quick Reply: Power Waxing...Deep Gloss Shine