3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

should I be worried

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I be worried

Ok guys so here's a link to my old thread about that code p0174 and my truck.. well the problem continues
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-bank-2-a.html

so went in after the last post in that thread they replaced pcv valve.. two weeks later now it's back so i dropped it off yesterday and got a rental.. f'ing caravan sweet...... So they call me and tell me that the PCM is going to be replaced.

Now is it just me but my thoughts are that if this truck needs a new PCM at 25000 miles and keep in minds it's a 2008 that it's time to cut my losses and get the hell rid of it? Any opinions i'm so confused I love this truck but for all the problems I'm having right now i'm not sure what to say.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Rojhan
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ben D.
Now is it just me but my thoughts are that if this truck needs a new PCM at 25000 miles and keep in minds it's a 2008 that it's time to cut my losses and get the hell rid of it? Any opinions i'm so confused I love this truck but for all the problems I'm having right now i'm not sure what to say.
The PCM is electronic. While electronics are generally reliable, they do fail.

If you are otherwise happy with the truck, why take a chance on the replacement having some *other* problem that is worse?

Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 PM
tlawre87
Veteran

I can say I have the same setup as you, minus the 4x4. My truck used oil until almost 15K miles. I fought with the dealer time and time. But it quit using oil finally.
I guess my thought is sometimes crap happens. If it was me and could afford it I would give it till about 29K miles and if I was having problems still I'd dump it before it hits 30.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one can tell you the right thing to do, but as I understand the PCM especially on 4wd where folks tend to go out and play in the mud and muck get wet and corrode causing failure. The good news I hear is the replacement PCM has a cover to protect it. Hopefully some one will pipe in and confirm this. Good luck...

Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Ben D.
Champion

yea the mud thing isn't possible. This truck has never seen mud or deep water. I use 4x4 to get up my driveway. 1/2 mile and a steep grade in gravel. and obviously in winter. This truck is babied it has never had to tow anything nothing weighing more than a few hundred pounds in the bed for small trips. I mean honestly this lives the life of a high class super car.

We shall see what happens I don't really see the PCM as the issue. the truck throwing the same code repeatedly doesn't indicate a PCM to me specially when nothing else wrong is going on

Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's an electronic component and probably was the culprit the whole time. Electronic parts can be bad, ben.... what the hell, you gonna think trade in cause a tail light bulb blows???

Seriously though, buddy, I think you are over reacting, its not like the engine is continuously dying on you or something.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Ben D.
Champion

idk guys. The fact of the matter is that the problems i'm having are so hard to determine the issue. If this thing was out of warranty I'd be in for 1000's of dollars in just diagnostic work. Let alone all the parts that have been thrown into it. Simply put I can not afford to keep this truck after the warranty if this is the trend. keep in mind this code has been a constant issue for going on four months now. and has been to the dealer about six times or more I've lost count at this point

It would be one thing if it was something that legitametly broke and I could just fix it myself. I mean most CEL codes are pretty specific but things like "fuel system too lean" are just retarded and really leave me in no situation that to take it to the dealer.

I'm just unsure I really can't shake it from my head that there is no excuse for this thing to have any and i mean any issues within the first 36k miles. I mean I guess I see it that if this thing doesn't make it this far then wtf am I gonna be doing at 50k? a new motor, transmission? this just outright sucks. I know if I ditch it i'll regret it but if i keep it and get screwed on repairs when it's out of warranty then i'll regret not ditching it.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Michael0077
Veteran

my truck was my first car ever, and as soon as i left the dealership engine light came on, and it too was my pcm. hopefully that'll bring you some form of relief ... i don't think it's worth dumping a truck out over though ...

Old 04-28-2010, 11:43 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard people with those 08 4.7s having weird problems for having such low miles. It was the year they kicked off that new engine and I'm sure new electronics were involved as well. It's your call though, if you arent happy with the truck, ditch it. Why drive something you don't like or feel will be a burden? Some vehicles are just prone to having problems, no matter what make or model. I've been fortunate enough to have a great truck. 130,000 miles and I've never had to do anything aside from normal maintenance. This stuff varies so much and it's really a gamble when or if something breaks. I'd say go trade the truck in on something else before the warranty is up and cut your losses. Who knows, it may end up being the best decision you can make, or it may not.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:19 AM
Ben D.
Champion

yea idk. I mean I felt like it was a great vehicle. Sucks of it is there's sentimental value in this truck. Not only was it the first new car I ever bought but it was a special ordered vehicle and has my name on the window sticker from DCX. So it would kinda suck to ever get rid of it. UGH lol.

but ya know what maybe it'll be fine I guess I truly at this point seeing as the trucks been having this issue for so long it's hard to believe they might actually have found the problem. We shall see.

O and the other thing apparently PCM's are backordered and they have no idea when they're gonna get one.. they tell me that after last night letting me know it was a next day part haha..........

Last edited by Ben D.; 04-29-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: should I be worried