3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010 | 12:02 AM
obie16
|
Default need a little help

Hi guys i don't post much but i do have a question. there is a dodge dealer that has a set of 6.1 heads and Intake for sale he was going to put them on a magnum but it sold so no go there. but i was wondering what it would do to help my 5.7 truck? any help would be great i love this site to get ideas for my truck and there is alot of great looking trucks on here. I'm caught in the middle on what i want to do to my lower or lift? again thanks for any help.

Old 04-28-2010 | 07:48 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

If you can get the intake complete with fuel rails and injectors that would be great. The heads would need some work because they would raise compression too much for you. Some guys double stack head gaskets to raise the heads a bit to lower the CR and some hog out the bowls to lower the CR. The 6.1 intake can be used on 5.7 heads but you will need 6.1 intake to 5.7 head adapters.

However, to make the 6.1 intake fit the 5.7 engine you need an different front timing cover and brackets needs to slightly relocate the alt and AC because the 6.1s throttle body is in the front and will hit them. Stu at Inertia Motorsports sell that kit for $425 last time i talked to him about it.

That gains would be nice. The bump in CR would mean a bigger cam is possible. The longer runners in the intake means more TQ. There is a significant cost and investment here but if you wanna go fast and pull hard you gotta cough up some money somewhere.

I have seen used 6.1 heads got for 800 +/- shipped. Ive seen complete 6.1 intakes go for on average about 650 +/-

What is your dealer wanting for them? And keep in mind he never would make that intake clear without a machined timing cover and brackets.

Old 04-28-2010 | 08:39 PM
obie16
|

well it has been awhile since i've talk to him but i believe he said about 1500 for both, i'm going to have to ask him if he has the rails and injectors. but thanks for the help anyways, if i do take this project on i will let you guys know. thanks again

Old 04-29-2010 | 07:34 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

150 for both the set of heads and the intake is not bad at all providing the intake in complete with injectors and fuel rails and the heads are complete and ready to bolt on and run. Fuel rails and injectors run about 75-100 each.